Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

400HO Battery problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 12:18 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400HO Battery problem

I ride one weekend a month. sometimes i cant and my 08 400 sits for a few months. first year i had it no problems. but last month i went to crank it and barely would. after a few tries and dimming panel lights i stopped and Hand pulled it to start. Ran it for a few hours to charge it and when i started it the next day it was fine.

Last week i went to start it and nothing. dead. Put a battery charger on it overnight and still completely dead the next morning. I guess im not sure why my battery died. Is this normal? should i have been charging once a week before rides all along?

also when i went tinto manual to look for diagnosis it mentioned two types of batteries, maintenance free and maint. needed. which came on my new quad?

I'm buying a new battery so any suggestions? figured i'd go to polaris dealer and ask. Am i going to pay a LOT for a maint. free battery?

Thanks to any input fellow sportsman riders...........

Old 07-11-2010, 01:56 PM
Pro Rider

Purchase a Odyssey Battery: Very low self-discharge rate, high amperage for starting and deep dischargable without damage (non-Odyssey batteries are either high amp for starting or deep discharge--not both).

They are also built to military spec's. They are sealed maintenance free--and are the only small (power sport size) battery that can take a high amp charge without damage.

They are more expensive, but have a huge reserve capacity (great for winter riding and/or using a winch) last 2-3 times as long...and might even be cheaper than a regular battery purchased from a Polaris dealer.

You will need to measure your old battery, and the battery box on the quad. Compare the measurements at the Odyssey Battery website to find the battery that fits best, then scan the web for a decent price.

I use Odyssey batteries on my two motorcycles, and will add them to the quads when the factory OEM batteries die.

ODYSSEY Batteries

Old 07-11-2010, 02:24 PM
Pro Rider

get a battery tender, one that will only charge your battery when it needs it, you can plug it in and leave it, won't overcharge just maintains your battery. a lot cheaper than batteries

Old 07-11-2010, 04:55 PM
Banned

I have the "battery tender plus (12V)" now.... but it didn't work on an overnight charge.

One concern is the attachment plugs all have 7Amp fuses attached...but the plug to my battery which i used has a 5Amp. could that have impeded charging?

Is my battery gone or is there hope?

Old 07-12-2010, 12:24 AM
"Official Site Skeptic"

there is hope. Like, I hope you enjoy your battery. lol