Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Motor dies when put in any gear

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 10:18 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor dies when put in any gear

Just rebuilt a Polaris 330 ATP (automatic). Well, just put in a new crank, rod, and lower bearing. Bouught the atv not running. Then I diagnosed the problem.

Finally got it back together and running, idles great now that the carb is set. I also rebuilt the carb after the atv sat for about 2 years. It was barely riden, as it only had 178 miles on it when purchased.

Well, on the first test run it shifted into gear fine and I ran it down the ally. Wasn't sure but I thought it seemed as if it didn't shift as the rpms seemed a little high. I got it back and shut it off. Restarted it, then went to shift into gear and it kicked forward slightly and died. Does this in H, L, and R. Sometimes I can get it to stay running in gear. Seems as if it's not shifting though through the gears with increased speed. NO noise from tranmission, atv sound great otherwise.

Primary CLutch?

Thanks!!!
Kelly

Old 07-16-2010, 07:07 AM
Pro Rider

Ebs washers in primary clutch are bad, Id say it has more than 178 miles

Old 07-16-2010, 06:37 PM
Range Rover

Kerbbirds
Thanks for the input,
ATP 330 really only had 178miles and 12.5hrs on it. Then sat for a few years. I think it was just rode hard when riden out on the farm.
Anyways, it may be possible I did damage to the clutch. Stupid rookie mistake and trying to save money on buying a puller cause I wanted the job done now. Well, I had the right size bolt to screw in the clutch to pop it off and I butted two sockets together inside the clutch to pop the clutch off the crank (done it before). Anyways the force pushed the two socket together and jammed inside the clutch. Still got the clutch off, but I had to finish driving the two sockets out of the clutch. It did scar up the inside(away from the crank), but not where the clutch and the crank join. ( I know dumb move)
Any thoughts?

No EBS.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:23 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you need to take the clutch cover off and see what is going on w/ it like is the secondary spinning w/ the primary in neutral. is the clutch not opening up all the way too let the belt all the way back into the bottom. maybe even take the primary cover off and remove spring to see if the sheeves will slide in and out all the way to see if the clutch is damaged. you'll have to remove the belt of course. just a couple of ideas.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:30 PM
Range Rover

Thanks Stendori,
I thought about doing that. I think that's probably the best way to approach it rt now. Thanks

Old 07-17-2010, 05:06 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kellyisu
Thanks Stendori,
I thought about doing that. I think that's probably the best way to approach it rt now. Thanks
let us know if you find anything.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:23 PM
Range Rover

So, I Finally got back to the atv after work today. Fired it up, and pulled it off the trailer. Shifted perfect, in and out of gear, although I still new something probably wasn't right. After taking it easy up and down the alley it still had too high rpms with more throttle.

Took the cover off, then gave it some gas in neutral. All looked good at first, then I gave it more gas and finally the clutch stuck( still spun just would not tighten or loosen the belt) and would not retract when I let off the gas. It did also die on me when it was stuck when trying to put into gear. There's my problem. I had to of damaged it when those two sockets lodged in there, allowing it to expand and not hold its true cylinder shape.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:25 PM
Range Rover

Just another good lesson on what not to do for others to read.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:24 PM
Trailblazer

Amen, I don't mean to add insult to injury....but, If need be, I WILL buy a clutch removal tool.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:40 PM
Range Rover

I have a clutch puller now