Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Engine knock in 08 Trail Boss 330

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 08:38 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine knock in 08 Trail Boss 330

Just picked up a used 08 Trail Boss for my son.
Brother picked it up, so i did not get to hear it run till it got home.
Has a noticable engine knock at idle/low rpms. Seems to go away at about 1500-1800 rpms.
Runs great!
Motor has about 30 hrs, and had original oil in it. I changed the oil next day, along with spark plug, oil filter, and gear lube.
Called previous owner, and he says he was told it is a normal noise for it.
Talked to 2 Polaris dealers, and both say it's a common noise. "Nature of the beast". Was todl that some make more noise than others.
Took it to one of those dealers yesterday, and he litened to it, and says not to worry, it's common for Polaris.
I've owned Honda, kawasaki & yamaha, and never had a noise (knock) come from the engine like this
Anyone have a Trail Boss 330, and what your's sound like? Is this noise "normal".

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

Old 09-26-2009, 08:44 AM
Range Rover

Do a search on this and you will find that it is the norm. IMO Get on it and give it hell!

Old 09-26-2009, 11:17 AM
Trailblazer
Default knock

Yea,'I've Google searched it for a couple dyas, and been finding little info, looking at other atv sites, & they're saying it's "normal"..............Hek of a thing to be "normal"

I'd like to just know what exactly is making this "normal" noise!!!
Piston slap, rod, clutch noise (doubt it), ?????

If this is "normal" for Polaris quads, this may be the ONLY Polaris I ever buy again!

Old 10-23-2009, 11:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

I signed up to this forum just to reply to this post.

My mother in law and I bought 07 330's. Well they were new 07's that we bought in 08. 2600$ each Asked the guy what is the difference in the 08's and he said " 1000 bucks" .
Was looking for a basic one and didnt want to spend too much. Chinese ones i seen for 3000$. Since my mother in law had bought a 88' trailboss and it is still running , figured we would give these a try. I predict 20 years of ownership too.

I was searching about these things being loud too.

Mine is louder then hers. Only thing is mine is ridden harder and i changed the oil (polaris oil)and hers has the factory oil in it. I can sorta hear a knocking noise in hers, but mine is way more pronounced.

It concerns me yes, but going off this post i am not too worried. It isnt a knocking noise like something is loose, just louder. Doesnt get too loud if i rev it up. I think it is just the clutch system. Hasnt gotten louder or quieter over time.

Ideally i wanted a honda 400 4x4, but i didnt want to spend too much or get a chinese unit. This trailboss does what i want it to. I haul a small trailer of firewood, pull a driveway drag, little food plot drag and just bombing around.

So i will just live with the noise, bugs me at times, but like these guys said it is louder machine.

I want to try some higher octane gas see if that helps (doubt it).

couple ?;s

HOw do you know what RPMS you are getting? mine doesnt have a TACH, or a hour meter?

gear lube- what did you use? was it easy to change? why change it so soon?

Old 07-27-2010, 09:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

took it to the local polaris shop. couldnt live with the noise.

Got the new oil lines in too.

guy said it sounds like a clutch issue. he is going to start with that. Next would be a internal issue. but he said 9 outta 10 it is a clutch bushing worn out.

I will keep this post updated if anyone is reading.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:54 PM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

Pretty common thing with the smaller popo engines. My 02 325 sounds like the piston is going to come through the block at idle but fades away with some rpm's. Been doing that for 8 years and still runs strong!

Old 07-28-2010, 06:07 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Normal for Polaris 4strokes to sound like that.It is a combination of clutch(buttons could be worn......have this checked) and recoil rattling.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:04 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 167 Likes on 166 Posts

Yep, my 00 Trail Boss did it to the day I sold it to my nephew. Got it back at the house to do some carb work, and it's still doing it. And through the years, this machine has been ridden as hard as any others I've been around.