Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

track drive

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 04:39 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default track drive

Lets talk snow..... How about it you track drive owners is it worth the investment $3000. for the tracks. How well do they steer??? I have a 550 sportsman xp what would be better in the snow chains or tracks??? I know in deep snow the tracks will be better but how about average 4-6 inches of the white stuff.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:03 PM
Pro Rider

I'm sure Mongrol will chime in...There's a few others here as well....

John

Old 07-19-2010, 05:41 PM
Pro Rider

I know for me last winter in the spring for ice fishing in MN, there was no way you could get on the lake yet alone move the permenant shack without having tracks. I was with someone that had the tracks and for this type of stuff, chains wouldn't be an option. Whether or not it is worth the $3000 depends on how much and what you use the wheeler for. For me in 4 iches of snow my wheeler is fine but when it is really deep and/or slushy the tracks shine. My buddy has the Polaris brand of tracks.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:06 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JCDEYO25
I'm sure Mongrol will chime in...There's a few others here as well....

John
mongrol loves his tracks and has had them on 3 bikes and showed some great pics you might be able to check out.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:29 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best purchase I ever made for my wheeler! Steering is no problem and it will easily go through pretty much anything with them. Had 10-15' banks plowed around my property last Winter and would've kept going higher/farther out if needed. I ran prospector pros last year and upgraded to the pro-s tracks this year. If you are serious about getting them I suggest keeping an eye on ebay/craigslist. Got my prospectors for $2200 with a little less than 100 miles on them. Sold them for the same price after a season of use and got the pro-s tracks for $2250 and they only had 5 miles on them. Both sets were off craigslist.

Old 07-20-2010, 12:42 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

Tons of fun. At thier best in snow. Personally don't like dry riding with tracks on narrow trails - not manoueverable enough. Wouldn't be without them in winter. However, you will loose 35-50% of your top speed but will gain the same in pulling power.

Here's my 550XP on Tatou Tracks.

Attached Thumbnails track drive-pa080001.jpg   track drive-pb150008.jpg   track drive-pb150004.jpg  
Old 07-24-2010, 06:46 PM
Trailblazer
Default track on

Ok you sold me ....How difficult is the install it looks like a direct bolt on.How about the different brands matt track tatou and of course the polaris ones which do you recomend???

Old 07-24-2010, 07:36 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

it worth the investment $3000. for the tracks
Look at your use sled ads for way under $3000 you can get a awesome machine.

Old 07-24-2010, 08:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get a used sled cheap here but IMO they suck. More maintenance and upkeep than a wheeler and you are dependent on the weather for a good riding season. I am born and raised in northern MN and don't plan on owning a sled any time soon( and yes I have owned/ridden them). A wheeler is a true year around machine especially with tracks(which can be run any season while a sled cannot) and are a blast in the winter. Can still go 50mph with the popo tracks which is plenty fast in the snow.

DrZew-installation is a breeze. They bolt on the hub like a tire and then there are anti-roll brackets that bolt on the a-arms(I can have them on in @ 15 minutes). I prefer the polaris tracks myself. Heard the tatou's are good but you lose a lot more top-end than the popos. Mattracks are the heaviest and most expensive of the bunch.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:14 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

Direct bolt on, no mod's.

My choice ? #1 - Tatou, all the rest are pretty close also, EXCEPT Mattracks, didn't like them in snow, Stuck lots, ok in muskeg. HEAVY & PRICEY.

Check out www.atvtracks.net for reviews & vid's (& youtube also)

Here we call a tracked atv "The Sled Tow Truck".

Quick Reply: track drive