Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2011's are unvailed... Be honest, what do you think???

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 11:56 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 400 HO I rode I really thought it has a serious engine/trans problem
Its the same motor and tranny since 96 in all other kinds of models.

Old 08-01-2010, 01:31 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by IQSLEDNECK
I was told that the "Mid-Size" class was not build by polaris... I was told they were outsorced and made by a subcontractor. Now that the sportsman 400 is back in a "Full-Size" chassis polaris is making it back in Minnesota...
This was all info I got from a local dealer, not sure how relevent it is but thats what I was told...
Putting the 400HO back in the full size chassis is the best thing they ever did. Now they really need to advertise all the changes, so everyone is in the know on it.

Originally Posted by TLC
Its the same motor and tranny since 96 in all other kinds of models.

It is not a Honda...

They get the XP trans, and from what I have heard, that is quite a step up.

Old 08-01-2010, 05:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by hallj86
Well put polaris needs to get their heads out of the clouds. I personally think their customer service blows and only a 6 month warrenty proves they know that they are sending junk sometimes and dont want to cover it and cut cost.
When it comes to customer service, I'm very lucky in that I have two excellent Polaris dealerships within easy driving distance. I never had any problems getting the required warranty work completed. I can only imagine what a nightmare it would be to have a bad dealership, regardless what make the ATV was.

I agree the 6 month warranty period is way too short, but until it impacts Polaris on the sales floor things will stay as they are. It will be very interesting to see what happens after production is moved to Mexico.

Old 08-01-2010, 05:08 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Suckerbump
When it comes to customer service, I'm very lucky in that I have two excellent Polaris dealerships within easy driving distance. I never had any problems getting the required warranty work completed. I can only imagine what a nightmare it would be to have a bad dealership, regardless what make the ATV was.

I agree the 6 month warranty period is way too short, but until it impacts Polaris on the sales floor things will stay as they are. It will be very interesting to see what happens after production is moved to Mexico.

Can am has a 6 month warranty too, and they are also built in Mexico. Lots of things are built there, with low to no quality issues.

Old 08-01-2010, 05:18 PM
Pro Rider

Take it for what it's worth, but The same dealer that told me about the mid size wheelers being outsorced, he also told me the new plant in mexico is going to be building the wheelers that will be shipped OVERSEAS. So the quads that are going to be sold in Europe, Africa, South America ect ect.... He also said the ATV's bought here in the United States and canada will be built here in Minnesota! Take it for what it's worth but that's what a local dealer told me...

And I agree with you guys on the fact that a 6 month warranty is to short. If you wanna stand behiend your machines you need to up it to a 1 year or better yet 2 year!!!
How does the 6 month warranty compare to other manufacturers

Old 08-01-2010, 05:23 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by IQSLEDNECK
Take it for what it's worth, but The same dealer that told me about the mid size wheelers being outsorced, he also told me the new plant in mexico is going to be building the wheelers that will be shipped OVERSEAS. So the quads that are going to be sold in Europe, Africa, South America ect ect.... He also said the ATV's bought here in the United States and canada will be built here in Minnesota! Take it for what it's worth but that's what a local dealer told me...

And I agree with you guys on the fact that a 6 month warranty is to short. If you wanna stand behiend your machines you need to up it to a 1 year or better yet 2 year!!!
How does the 6 month warranty compare to other manufacturers
That is great to hear!! Keeps the folks in Minnesota busy.

I agree, the short warranty is BS!! Can am usually will throw in a 3 year on their spring specials, but their quads are so grossly over priced (up here anyway) that for me, is just not worth it. I can buy an awful lot of goodies for the $2,500 difference between an Outty 400 and a SP 400HO.

Old 08-01-2010, 05:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Specta
I don't recall them talking about marketing strategy, they just talked about "new" for 2011.

The 400 HO I rode I really thought it has a serious engine/trans problem. On decel at low speed it made a terrible banging/slapping noise that I was later told was normal. I find the trans housing sticking out so far on the left side to be really annoying too.

When you talk quality control it scares me to think what will come out of Mexico.

Without question the 850 EPS 2-up was the nicest ATV I rode.
Do you remember what material the trans housing belt cover was made from? The current problem with my wife's Hawkeye is the result of a sloppy bearing fit within the aluminum belt cover. The knocking is so bad, you can feel it in the handle bars. If you didn't know better, you'd think the motor was going to blow apart. The lead mechanic at one Polaris dealer, told me the noise was normal - for a Hawkeye/SP300. (LOL) The most they could do to fix the problem was to replace the bearing, and hope the loctite lasts. He mentioned an "internet fix", which lead me via google to some of the threads in these forums. I have a .020" bearing shim made up, now I just need the time to install it. I sure hope Polaris hasn't transplanted this bearing knock into their new value line.

Old 08-01-2010, 05:57 PM
Pro Rider

Do you remember what material the trans housing belt cover was made from? The current problem with my wife's Hawkeye is the result of a sloppy bearing fit within the aluminum belt cover. The knocking is so bad, you can feel it in the handle bars. If you didn't know better, you'd think the motor was going to blow apart. The lead mechanic at one Polaris dealer, told me the noise was normal - for a Hawkeye/SP300. (LOL) The most they could do to fix the problem was to replace the bearing, and hope the loctite lasts. He mentioned an "internet fix", which lead me via google to some of the threads in these forums. I have a .020" bearing shim made up, now I just need the time to install it. I sure hope Polaris hasn't transplanted this bearing knock into their new value line.
That is why the Hawkeye line was scrapped. too light. The only thing they brought over to the value line was the 455cc engine, and that has been around, and has proven itself to be an amazing power plant.

And that is my favourite displacement - 455 !!

Has it being air cooled caused any problems??

Old 08-01-2010, 06:12 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The knocking is so bad, you can feel it in the handle bars. If you didn't know better, you'd think the motor was going to blow apart.
I don't remember what the housing was made of but it took up half of the floorboard and what you're describing there is what I experienced with the 2011 400 HO, the noise was awful. I was later told the noise I was hearing was normal for that machine and that there wasn't anything wrong with it.

Old 08-01-2010, 06:15 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Specta
I don't remember what the housing was made of but it took up half of the floorboard and what you're describing there is what I experienced with the 2011 400 HO, the noise was awful. I was later told the noise I was hearing was normal for that machine and that there wasn't anything wrong with it.
So I guess since the 500/800 have the same trans, they will all make that noise. Did you test drive them??

Quick Reply: 2011's are unvailed... Be honest, what do you think???