Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2011's are unvailed... Be honest, what do you think???

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 09:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not to mention you get the front rack storage and quite a bit more spunk, its a no brainer really

Old 08-03-2010, 10:49 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Originally Posted by sportszillasheex
not to mention you get the front rack storage and quite a bit more spunk, its a no brainer really
I think the new 400H.O is the exact same ATV as the 500 ,but for the motor, so it should also have the rack storage. Just 45cc difference and the 500 uses a 40mm carb while the 455 uses the 34mm, both have the sam cam not sure if it would be that noticeable power difference.

There is a $1000 differance up here I,m told.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:17 PM

well i thought you were up on all the hp numbers? there is a 6-7hp difference, enough that the smaller 400 probably still wasnt as fast as the 500. maybe your dealer is dropping the price to make a $1000 difference (then it might be worth it) but otherwise, REATAIL FOR RETAIL you'd be stupid to get the 400

Old 08-03-2010, 11:31 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

I, live in Canada,prices here are crazy. These were the numbers in 07 sportsman 450=29.7 hp
Sportsman 500 Ho (carB) 34.5hp
according to these guys.http://quads.ca/bb/viewtopic.php?p=5...e0528bcd3e027e

Not sure sure if 4.8hp is worth $1000 for me.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:34 PM

ok i was using the 36 from the efi... but it still isnt worth it unless you can get it for $1000 less US dollars

Old 08-03-2010, 11:43 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Strange the Scrambler with the same motor 500H.O motor and carb is rated at 36hp like the EFI, different pipe maybe?

Old 08-04-2010, 07:58 PM

on the epa site they show it with less the 30 hp which is weird

Old 08-07-2010, 06:02 PM
Pro Rider

I was very disappointed to see Polaris change the 400 HO to a full size body! While this may put me in the minority on this thread, I may also be one of the few here that have actually owned and ridden the 400 HO for any length of time! My '08 has been a VERY fun and capable ride for me and I don't see any reason to change, especially since the size change!
To me this just isn't a good move, while keeping the same powerplant and HP, they have added the bigger plastics which make it tougher the handle in tight trails, dropped the front storage, (a huge negative to me), added the high/low range PVT which was completely unnecessary with the midsize machine! The reason for adding the H/L PVT I fear is the 100# they added in the frame change which for all intents and purposes will kill the performance of the 400! I have never found the 400 motor to be underpowered in the midsize frame even with the 26" rubber I run, actually quite the opposite, it is very snappy and pulls the front off the ground at will, while still being able to use it to pull sizable logs out of the woods for firewood and push snow all winter! I love not having to shift gears between work and play or that deep water hole I really "HAVE" to go through!
I originally had the choice of a Sportsman 500HO, leftover Sportsman 450, and the 400HO, and after riding each I clearly liked the sportier ride and nimble feel of the 400HO, and it didn't nose dive every time you jammed on the brakes! Being the fastest of the 3 didn't hurt either! I have always thought of the 400 HO as something of a bridge between a sport quad and a utility atv! Fast and nimble in the woods with 4x4 and racks!
Though I haven't had the opportunity to ride the new full size 400, and while I have been an advocate of the 400 in the midsize frame and all the fun it brings to the table, I will have to agree with some here that would find it hard to justify purchasing the 400 over the 500 HO! The added weight and tire size will require every bit of HP available to make a capable ATV, not to mention the storage loss! Oh, and if anyone is wondering, my buddy spend $100 on the optional front storage for his 550, so that makes the price difference even smaller!

Cheers!

Old 08-07-2010, 06:09 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by jokout
I was very disappointed to see Polaris change the 400 HO to a full size body! While this may put me in the minority on this thread, I may also be one of the few here that have actually owned and ridden the 400 HO for any length of time! My '08 has been a VERY fun and capable ride for me and I don't see any reason to change, especially since the size change!
To me this just isn't a good move, while keeping the same powerplant and HP, they have added the bigger plastics which make it tougher the handle in tight trails, dropped the front storage, (a huge negative to me), added the high/low range PVT which was completely unnecessary with the midsize machine! The reason for adding the H/L PVT I fear is the 100# they added in the frame change which for all intents and purposes will kill the performance of the 400! I have never found the 400 motor to be underpowered in the midsize frame even with the 26" rubber I run, actually quite the opposite, it is very snappy and pulls the front off the ground at will, while still being able to use it to pull sizable logs out of the woods for firewood and push snow all winter! I love not having to shift gears between work and play or that deep water hole I really "HAVE" to go through!
I originally had the choice of a Sportsman 500HO, leftover Sportsman 450, and the 400HO, and after riding each I clearly liked the sportier ride and nimble feel of the 400HO, and it didn't nose dive every time you jammed on the brakes! Being the fastest of the 3 didn't hurt either! I have always thought of the 400 HO as something of a bridge between a sport quad and a utility atv! Fast and nimble in the woods with 4x4 and racks!
Though I haven't had the opportunity to ride the new full size 400, and while I have been an advocate of the 400 in the midsize frame and all the fun it brings to the table, I will have to agree with some here that would find it hard to justify purchasing the 400 over the 500 HO! The added weight and tire size will require every bit of HP available to make a capable ATV, not to mention the storage loss! Oh, and if anyone is wondering, my buddy spend $100 on the optional front storage for his 550, so that makes the price difference even smaller!

Cheers!
I will let you know in the spring. I rode a 2010 400HO, and it felt slightly light and tipsy under me,(225 pounds could be why. )yet I did not mind that it was real peppy. Have you ever had a problem with out the low range? For me, I want it, just for all the low torque you get with the extra gear. Will be getting the 2011 400HO, unless the incentives are real good, I have no need for the 500HO, not when you factor in the $700 price difference up here.

The chances of a 2010 400HO being around next spring will not be very good, since the 2011 will not be at the dealers for a bit yet. I heard December for the 500HO, and not sure on the 400HO. They only added 83 pounds, and the tire size change should barely be noticed performance wise. (455cc vs 498cc.)

http://www.powersportsnetwork.com/en...1=55638&go2=Go

Old 08-07-2010, 06:23 PM

polaris cant make up there mind... it was a fullsize to begin with (sportsman 450) and i dont mind it being on the bigger chassis, but getting rid of the 300 wasnt a good idea to me.. they should have put the 330 in it and change the looks to make it more appealing. jokout, you're saying the smaller 400 was quicker then the 500 ho?

Quick Reply: 2011's are unvailed... Be honest, what do you think???