Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2011's are unvailed... Be honest, what do you think???

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 09:56 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Polaris doesn't make their own EFI system, at least for the XP's.. Bosch does, and so far, I havent seen a single problem with any of them I've been around. I love my EFI and won't go back to a carb on my primary quad. Oh, and I did have to rebuild the carb on my Prairie 300 this year. And for a mechanic who is used to big stuff (2000-3500HP reciprocating hydrogen compressors, for example) a tiny carb is a real pain in the butt to rebuild. I'll keep my EFI.

And as far as the Outlaw, and it's carb, I think it's part of the package from KTM. KTM's own very capable (and expensive!) quads use carbs too.

Oh, and D57H, you should be used to this by now... I mean admit it, you like to stick a certain part of your anatomy in the hornet's nest don't you??

Old 08-08-2010, 09:57 AM

hemi, get lost. you're another recon ranger where your opinion is FACT and the only one that matters. you're a brand loyalist like him too.. just because a car and truck have all these features doesnt mean an OFFROAD TOY needs them. maybe yamaha will come out A/C? or a boston acoustics stereo for an extra $500? the manufacturers are only going efi because the yuppies buy it because its "the latest and greatest" and because of emissions. thats IT

Old 08-08-2010, 10:06 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the number one reason to opt for the power steering is that it does a great job of stopping the handle bars from being jerked out of your hands when you hit the rock hiding in the grass along the side of the trail.

I hit one yesterday coming down a steep off camber side hill that traversed the mountain and hit one of those rocks and it just about put me over.

Descending steep rocky hills is another place where EPS is nice and I believe it makes it safer to be able to steer with less effort when in tight or difficult places.

I don't think EPS has anything to do with being just easier to turn while riding down the trail. I think it makes them better when you’re in a few bad situations.

I think Honda and Polaris has made their EPS with too much assist and the steering feels like a spoon in a bowl of mush with no feed back through the EPS what so ever. With Suzuki's EPS it's hard to tell it's even there, they did an excellent job with theirs.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:10 AM
Pro Rider

The straight axle Outlaws never sold very well, and didn't do anything any better than any other sport quad. Aside from Rath racing, nobosy else really scooped them up for mx or gncc. There was already a huge hop-up market for the other brands, and the SRA Outlaws had serious flaws in the airbox design that the IRS Outlaw does not have. Hard to sell a quad nobody wants.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:15 AM

and in a predator chassis didnt help

Old 08-08-2010, 10:26 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only down side I see to fuel injection is field service if you have a problem, I think most carb problems can be fixed well enough to get you back home.

I live at 6400 ft and everything is up from here, to about 12,000 ft. Folks from the lower elevations (like CA) that come here to ride I'm sure would love EFI as they are the ones who have the most running problems here.

Mine has been rejetted for the high altitudes and I really have no starting ot running issues. I'm sure EFI would help some of the power loss in the higher elevtions.

A freind of mine had his EFI's fuel pump go out, $450!! Ouch.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:29 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Here some features you can really feel the differance some not so much.

Power steering vs Manual-, one "FEELS" like it steers much easer then the other.

IRS vs SRA- , one has more ground clearance and "FEELS" smoother over bumps that the other

Disk braks vs Drum- , One will make you "FEEL" like your stopping the ATV when you apply them,the other make you "FEEL" like your stopping the ATV when you apply them.

EFI vs Carb- one will make you "FEEL" like the ATV is moving forward when you give it throttle the other will make you "FEEL" like the ATV is moving forward when you give it throttle .

Old 08-08-2010, 10:30 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Scootergptx

Maybe if I had my screen full sized I'd have seen that. Oh well, the sacrifices I make so I can play at work.

I still think they should just get rid of it.
why? they are not the same machine. and if you are gonna get rid of one for some reason, then get rid of the blazer, not even any racks on it.
huh, well there you go, maybe that's why they have different models... imho

Old 08-08-2010, 10:42 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Polarat
What's the point of the 400HO Sportsman?
it's called options, not everyone wants the same model as everyone else

Old 08-08-2010, 10:57 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Suzuki also did it a few years back in 09 I think. They made a 450 King Quad and a 500 King Quad. http://www.powersportsnetwork.com/en...1=88101&go2=Go They dropped the 450 now just to similar to each other like the new 400H.O and 500H.O. are the each other.

Quick Reply: 2011's are unvailed... Be honest, what do you think???