Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris Preventive Maint - Pain in the neck

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 04:35 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris Preventive Maint - Pain in the neck

I'm attempting to change the oil on my 09 Sportsman 500 Touring. I found the number of steps, about 16, to be a bit much. It was also a challenge figuring out what fluids were required for all of the annual maintenance. After buying 2 quarts of oil for $21, I started the job.

After one hour I haven't been able to release the lower oil hose clamp. I figure that I'm going to have to remove the battery holder, just to hopefully reach it. It's hard enough to reach, given the tight tolerance but to make matters worse they put the prongs right up against the oil case.

I then noted how hard it's going to be to attach a battery tender. The terminals are next to impossible to see, much less attach the cables.

People warned me about buying a Polaris, but I will always buy an American product when there is a choice. I just don't understand how they could make something as simple as an oil change such a big pain. It's quite possible that I may have to tear the entire front end off, just to do an oil change.

I sure hope these two issues aren't a reflection of problems and issues that I am going to face in the future.

Old 08-13-2010, 05:17 PM
Pro Rider

The front gearcase drain plug is hard to get to as well.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:49 PM
Range Rover
First Things First!

If you check the maintenance sticky at the top of the Polaris forum it will show you everything you need to know for the fluids. I just changed the fluids on my 850XP by the book pulling off the foot rest and panels, then when done looked at the plugs and there was no need to remove anything. Nothing was easier to get to with the panels off its still a hassle.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:27 PM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

I don't have an X2 or a touring but both my sp500 and magnum are very easy to service. What's different that would make it so much more difficult? The only complaint I have is one of the grease zerts on the drive shaft of the sportsman is a bit of a pain to get at. Try changing the oil and filter on a 05 grizzly 660 without a special filter wrench. My buddy says it's a whole lots of fun!

Old 08-13-2010, 08:50 PM
Pro Rider

Don't mess with the oil hose, it's not that big of deal. I drain the reservoir, drain the crankcase, and change the filter. Two plugs to remove and the filter is easy to change. Some pull on the starter rope with the key off to get out more oil. That vacuum hose and wire filter are a joke, just leave it attached and you can pass on all the extra work.
I found all the plugs easy to get to. I just changed the transmission, front gear fluid, oil and filter, greased all the zerk's, air filter, and put dielectric grease on all the connections, spark plug, lubed all the shift linkage and steering. Took about half a day taking my time.

Old 08-14-2010, 06:56 AM
Trailblazer
Default Unbelievable

I'm simply amazed at how difficult it is to change the oil on this 09 500 Touring. There's a secondary inline oil filter that requires cleaning. It sits within 1/4 inch of the battery bracket, and it is nearly impossible to reach.

I was finally able to remove the lower oil hose clamp by removing the side panel. Anyone with large hands would not have been able to get to it.

Then the "fun" really started; getting the inline filter off of the oil tank. Again, nearly impossible to reach, so I had to remove the battery, unbolt the battery carrier and then remove the bolts from the oil tank. This gave me just enough room to reach the inline oil filter. I would have removed the entire tank but there was an upper hose that I couldn't access well enough to remove it.

The entire time I was worried about snapping some plastic part of the oil tank off. Did I mention that I had to get out a 3/8" and 7/8" ratchet and wrench? This on a part that you can barely feel with your hand, much less get a wrench on it.

I suppose the only ones, who can understand my pain, are those that have attempted to change the oil on this specific model. Hopefully, the regular Sportsman doesn't have this issue.

I have owned/worked on GM, Chrysler, JD, Cat, Briggs, Kawasaki, Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki and Paccar (Peterbilt) machinery for the past 30 years and I have to rank this right up there with one of my worst experiences.

I just can't understand why they would design it this way. The engineers should be made to spend their weekend trying to change the oil/filter on this thing.

This was my first month oil change, so the filter and oil were clean. I can't imagine an ATV shop taking the time to clean the aforementioned filter.

I do love the ride, it's very smooth, easy to start and quite powerful. The side panels and seat were very easy to remove. It's pretty to look at and I do appreciate the fact that it's an American product. So not all is bad.

Thanks for letting me vent my frustration. I'm not done yet but I sure hope that the worse is behind me on this task.

Old 08-14-2010, 08:51 AM
Pro Rider

It won't be a American product for much longer soon it will say Made In Mexico

Old 08-14-2010, 11:09 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Spdecat
It won't be a American product for much longer soon it will say Made In Mexico
If what the dealer says is right, only if you buy one in europe or asia. The US and Canada (eh) sold units will still be made in MN.

I have to say the maintenance on the XP is definitely easier than the 500HO.

Old 08-14-2010, 08:38 PM
Trailblazer
Default oil

I wouldnt bother to take the filter out of the tank.I am a Polaris tech and at the dealership I work at. We dont bother to clean the oil tank screen filter.just remove oil drain plugs and change filter put oil back in oil tank and follow the oil pump priming procedure.

Old 08-14-2010, 08:48 PM
Trailblazer
Default oil

as far as mexico made Polaris atvs our dealership owner was told at the dealer meeting.The same as bitterfritters dealer that mexico made atv will ship to South America and to Euorpe and other such places.

Quick Reply: Polaris Preventive Maint - Pain in the neck