Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Electric Fan Problem ???

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 04:25 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Electric Fan Problem ???

The last time I was riding my '06 Sportsmen 450 4x4, my guage started flashing <<<HOT>>>. I immediately cut the engine off & I noticed that the electric fan wasn't working. We sat & talked for roughly 30 minutes & I cranked up & rode about 3 miles home on the road without anymore problems. The fan worked fine all the way home & I did ride for about 20 minutes last week & it worked fine, But I'm kinda weary about getting off by myself & having this problem again.

The day my fan gave this problem we had ridden about 4 hours & only rode across a creek that was no more than "knee-deep" . I ride very slow crossing creeks & it's only been in the water 5 times & never any deep water or mud. There was not anything obstructing the fan from turning & the fluid levels are fine....(even though that wouldn't have anything to do with the fan not turning on).

I just bought my quad about 3 weeks ago & it only had 390 miles on it & I'm thinking it was about 50 hours showing. It had never been in any mud & is in new condition. It was only ridden to & from his barns & around 120 acres of pure pasture.

Any input what could have caused this & is there something I should check on it ??? Electrical plugs......etc ??? CIrcuit breaker ??? Fuses ???

Thanks in advance for all replies !!!

Old 09-02-2010, 08:03 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Check the fan first, by doing a direct jump to its two leads from a 12v source. If it spins then the fan is fine. Did you get the ECM Brain box changed on this recall. It controls the fan. http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml08/08193.html

Old 09-02-2010, 08:58 AM
Pro Rider

It is possible that the fan was not working because it was not hot . I have a 08 500 with a temp gauge installed and once and a while after I go through some deep water-mud my machine will flash hot . But looking at my gauge I know it's not hot the water must be doing something ( getting a wire wet ) to turn the hot on . Once I shut the machine off and re-start the hot flashing is gone and I'm good to go . This only happens after I go though water never have I seen the hot flashing at any other time . It started doing this about 5000 miles ago and has done it about 4 times .

Old 09-02-2010, 09:54 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

If you ever need a fan to replace your Polaris (Spal built) 11" 2410383 fan, Dot not buy one from the dealer for $250, go directly to SPAL USA and buy it for $79.45 they call it model "VA09-AP12/C-54A" http://www.spalusa.com/store/main.as...&item=30100411 order number 30100411 .

Old 09-02-2010, 10:01 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Spdecat
It is possible that the fan was not working because it was not hot . I have a 08 500 with a temp gauge installed and once and a while after I go through some deep water-mud my machine will flash hot . But looking at my gauge I know it's not hot the water must be doing something ( getting a wire wet ) to turn the hot on . Once I shut the machine off and re-start the hot flashing is gone and I'm good to go . This only happens after I go though water never have I seen the hot flashing at any other time . It started doing this about 5000 miles ago and has done it about 4 times .
My 05 500 used to do the exact same thing. It did it for a month or two then it just went away.

It is some sort of malfunction in the ECM.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:35 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Overdrive
My 05 500 used to do the exact same thing. It did it for a month or two then it just went away.

It is some sort of malfunction in the ECM.

I don't have a ECM .

Old 09-03-2010, 08:36 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spdecat
I don't have a ECM .
You have one it's called a Sure Power Module!.............Caper.........

Old 09-03-2010, 08:42 PM

Yes I have two Sp 450's (2006) and I almost will tell you that sound like a Sure Power Module trouble.........My Blue one is on it's third one.....First one quad would shut off when headlights were turned on............Second one Fan will run on it's own even when the wheeler was stone cold(sitting over 4-5 hours fan came on without the key even in it!!!
The ECM or control module(Sure Power Industries) is the issue
Note the factory ones in my two Quads were Black in color and Made in China..
The replacements were Silver in color and Made In the U.S.A.
Still both were Sure Power industries though!!
Yes check the Vin at the dealer for the recall up-date...
You can do a quick check yourself,But like I said I did have one of the new ones(replacement ones) fail also!!
.......Caper.........

Old 09-03-2010, 08:45 PM

People think if they have a "CARB" model Quad they are protected from all this ECM,or module stuff(including myself) .....But the carb model still have electronics controlled from a "BOX"....These have Solid State Circuit Breakers installed internally inside them and are not servicable.......Caper.........

Old 09-05-2010, 08:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Lightbulb

Thanks for all of the replies ! Sorry it's taken a few days to get back, but here goes ;

TLC, Thanks for the link for all of the recalls & the info on where to buy a SPAL elec. fan. I have been religously reading all of the posts in this forum & I've read all about where to buy parts without having to buy from the Polaris dealer & paying about 300% increase in price. I haven't jumped any wires on my fan, but I know it's good because it did come on and work fine on my ride home, after having the problem. I've ridden it 1 time since & the fan came on & worked properly when the engine got up to temp.

TLC, I checked the re-call list & my MODEL # A06MH46AD, was listed on the recall. I found the model # in my paperwork that I recieved from the original buyer. He didn't mention any recalls & I'm 99% sure that he didn't take it in for any recall, because I recieved ALL of the paperwork on it including the 100 mile service receipt & the optional Pure Polaris bumpers & backrest that he had the dealer install. He had EVERYTHING done by the dealer, money was no object to him. The 4 wheeler only had 390 miles on it & I bought it 4 weeks ago for what I think was a very good deal for $3400 in new condition.
Would my quad still fall under this recall & not cost me any money, being I'm the 2nd owner ? What do I need to do ?

Spdecat, I know for sure that my engine was hot enough for the fan to be working, because we had been riding for a few hours & the from what I've observed, after the engine gets hot enough for the fan to start running, it seems to me that the fan runs as long as I'm riding it, because everytime I stop for any reason, the fan is always on. I know I can't hear the fan running while riding, so I don't know if it turns off/on while riding. I just know that it's always on when stopping & idleing.
When the HOT started flshing & the CHECK ENGINE light came on, cut the engine off for a minute or so & the restarted the engine and the HOT was still flashing and the fan still wasn't on, but after about 45 minutes of sitting, I restarted the engine & rode home without any issues & the fan was working when I parked it.

Overdrive, The way my luck has been going in the past 3 months, I couldn't be lucky enough to have the problem appear/disappear only 4 times in 5000 miles.

caperinmuskoka, Yes, the carb models do have "ECMs" Sure Power Modules. I really didn't know that my carb model SPortsman had this, although I knew that a friend's 2006 Yamaha YZ 450F MX bike had some electronics but not like the newer EFI models. I will say that I'm not fond at all of electronics on something used miles away in the woods. I've had at last count 15 dirt bikes & 1 1983 Honda 200S 3 wheeler & I never even worried when riding 40 miles from home, by myself.
The last bike I had was a 1993 Yamaha WR250 2 smoker & I use to come in from work everyday & ride 10 miles tight woods & 15 miles steep hills on a gas line & then turn around & do it again on the way back home, all by myself without even a thought of having any problems. It was that dependable. Only 1 rebuild & at least 6000 miles on it. Yamaha dirt bikes are the only bikes that seem to run forever & ever. 1989 Honda CR250R fouled spark plugs everytime I cranked it up when the engine was cold, but I would install a new one & ride on.

I just hope that I don't put Polaris in the same category as Harley Davidson. I hate 'em. Everything just too overpriced & the Jap bikes will outrun and outlast a Harley 3 to 1.

I really like my Sportsman so far & I couldn't ask for a better ride. I just hope that these electronics don't become a nightmare, because already I can't go riding without the thought of "WHAT IF" happens & I get stranded. I just stuck a 1" stick in my RR stock tire, so I've got new Maxxis Bighorns coming in the next couple of days. Just trying to take care of any weak links in advance.

Any more thoughts ?

Thanks again for the replies.

Quick Reply: Electric Fan Problem ???