Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

SP800: Do I Need a full Clutch Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 12:37 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SP800: Do I Need a full Clutch Kit?

I have a 2005 SP800. I've got 27" XTR's and usually ride around 6700ft. I'm not into mud often, mostly ride hardpack trails and ride in snow (utah winters). It may rarely see sand and I may use the plow at about 4200ft from time to time (home driveway). I had a belt explode the third time i rode it. I have no idea how old the belt was but i know i caused some stress (got stuck in 2+ ft of snow first ride and stayed in high, only got stuck b/c the awd system isnt working). I assumed the belt went due to heat from the stock clutch as i was attemting top it out and only got to 46mph (measured by gps) when it actually exploded. What i want to know is if i'll need a full kit to get the atv back to at least as quick as stock, preferably quicker.

I wouldnt mind a quicker takeoff and more bottom end and i'm not concerned with losing some top end as long as i get there faster.

If i need a full kit, I'm considering the HSP Hypershift kit for stock engine, large tires and 3000-6000ft. Its the cheapest kit i can find and while i'm not finding reviews on a sp800, it seems to work well on other models.

I've included a pic for fun, its the first time i rode it.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:13 AM
Trailblazer

If it was me, I would!

The factory setups seem to be adequate for factory wheels and tires on hard packed trails. But increasing tire size, weight and elevation. Then throwing in some extreme use like mug or big hills really takes its toll on the CVT system.

You already lost a belt. I see that as a sign of whats going on under the CVT cover. Upgrade your clutches and install a good belt. I would also keep the belt you have now as a trail spare. if you loose another, it will get you home!

Your riding style and set up is very simular to mine. (Sans the elevations) I will be upgrading the tires next season. Likely to a more aggressive 27" tire and along with that a new belt, clutch kit for trails and larger tires will be added. I also plow at my home.

CW

Old 10-20-2010, 09:16 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

(got stuck in 2+ ft of snow first ride and stayed in high,
No matter what clutch kit you get,when the ATV is at slower speeds and under heavy load you better use low range when its reguired.

Stock clutching while in "Low range" is better that the best installaled clutch kit while in "High range" in ugly sluggish trail contiotions no matter how big of tires you have.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:24 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yea i didnt really understand the whole high vs low gearing before i started researching the exploded belt. I have a brand new belt, and plan on buying a cheap backup to carry in case of another belt failure. My front motor mount was bad, so either that contributed to the belt decimation or the belt breaking from wear and excess heat caused the motor to torque at the moment of destruction and popped the mount. It’s somewhat of a chicken vs egg scenario.

I guess I really know I need a whole clutch kit. The HSP Hypershift kit is only about $150. I’m sure it will be worth the performance increase and peace of mind knowing that I am not damaging the $145 new belt(I know I paid a little much, but I’m learning patience slowly with this atv).

Anyone have experience with that particular brand of clutches? Any idea what the engagement point would be?

Old 10-20-2010, 10:34 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Call these guys Ritter Cycle Racing best place to buy kits from anyways,but best of all they will answer all you questions and tell you whats the best rout for you riding ,tires and budget before hand.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:37 AM
Pro Rider

Definetly would reccomend you getting a clutch kit. EPI specifically makes one for trail use and 27-28" tires called the Sport Utility Kit for 27-28" Tires. It will give you better low end and midrange power and accleration, faster backshift and throttle reponse, and will grip the belt better to save wear and tear onyour clutches. It will have a new helix, secondary spring, weights, and 2 primary springs. You can also get it with a heavy duty belt.

Obviously I would reccommend an EPI Kit. But any type of kit should help you out.

Old 10-20-2010, 02:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a big fan of the EPI clutch kits and Polaris belts. Only belt I've seen that will last. Bought a heavy duty aftermarket belt ONCE and it lasted about 100 miles before shredding. Ran oem in my rides ever since with EPI big tire clutch kits and had zero problems. Ditto on the other posts about low range. Only time my wheeler is ever in high is when cruising over 20mph on hard pack trails. Spends most of the time crawling in the mud in low and never had an oem blow out yet.