Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Nothing happens when AWD button is switched?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 09:22 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nothing happens when AWD button is switched?

I got this 02 Sportsman 500 HO a few weeks and have a manual in the mail (should be here by the weekend), but am trying to get a jump on a few other challenges with it before duck season. Had a popping in the rear left, and fixed with new CV axle. Went to test drive the new cv axle and got stuck in reverse, fixed that by working the linkage and adding transmission fluid (it was very low). The AWD switch doesn't appear to do anything when I switch is back and forth, nor does it show a light saying it's in AWD. My speedometer and odometer doesn't work, so I'm hoping that could be the culprite to the AWD not working. I also sometime experience a hard pull in the front end in both reverse and forward when I first put in gear, but can generally work it out by going forward then back.

My question is am I dealing with one issue or three seperate issues (AWD, Speedo/Odometer, and pulling on front end)? If all/some of these issues are related, what should I go to first to isolate the problem/s? Again, I don't have a manual now, but did break down and order one.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:35 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

For the hard pull change your hub fluids. The AWD will not work without a working speedo, but it will work if the speedo is not working because the speed sensor (Hall Effect) at the front right brake rotor is not working.
If thats the case your speedo should light up and the hour meter should still be working but nothing else. $50 fix for the wheel to speedo sensor.
You need a AWD indicator light to work also for the AWD to work,its part of the AWD;s circuit to the font locking hubs. bad or dirty awd switch or bulb burnt out maybe.

My Hall effect has not worked for 3 years,but the AWD light comes on and the awd works. Are you sure the AWD does not work? The ATV is always in 2wd unless the rear wheel slips a 10th of a rotatation and goes back to 2wd once rear traction is regained. Its only goes in awd reverse if you hold the yellow over ride button down.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:48 AM
Trailblazer

TLC everything does light up, and I do show the mileage/hours, speedo just doesn't read as I drive. So you would recommend swapping the speed sensor and hub fluids?

Old 10-27-2010, 10:02 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Sounds like the sensor but that does not explain why you have no AWD. Here is a link on changing the fliud in the hubs (bottom part of link, 10 pic down) ATV Time :: View topic - Polaris Demand Drive Hub Q&A Picture Guide to Service

Your awd problem must over the awd light no comming on at the switch.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:47 PM
Trailblazer

i had similar problem with no awd... i periodically take the switch apart and use contact cleaner on it. always makes a difference

Old 10-30-2010, 09:36 PM
Trailblazer

Swapped the speed sensor and now have odometer/speedometer. Took the switch apart and figured out that my bulb may not be lighting up the switch light. I still don't think the 4wd is kicking in, but I'm hoping the manual will help on that troubleshooting.

Old 10-31-2010, 01:09 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cwright
Swapped the speed sensor and now have odometer/speedometer. Took the switch apart and figured out that my bulb may not be lighting up the switch light. I still don't think the 4wd is kicking in, but I'm hoping the manual will help on that troubleshooting.
in some on the older models(not sure on 02') if the bulb was burned out of the awd switch then it would not complete the circuit and not work. also alot of times if the speedo does not work then the awd will not as well as it the awd is ran through the speedo, but you mentioned you got it back working, so not sure. imo

Old 11-02-2010, 11:28 AM
Trailblazer

I also noticed my reverse override button doesn't work either... which leads me to believe that I am never in 4wd. It lights up, but it never kicks me back into forward.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:32 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

If you don,t have AWD in forward then you not going to have it in reverse. Like mentioned the AWD bulb must work to have AWD. Either a new AWD switch or bulb is needed.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:37 AM
Trailblazer

Read my previous post! Bulb was fixed..

Quick Reply: Nothing happens when AWD button is switched?