Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Plowing snow with Sportsman 500

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 03:35 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plowing snow with Sportsman 500

I recently purchased a home with a 1/4 mile private drive. Does anyone have any experiences plowing snow? I'm sure that my 09 500 Touring has enough power to plow but this seems like too long of a drive to do with an ATV.
I could buy a plow for my 3/4 Chevy but I'm sure that it would be very expensive.
I've heard that snow forms into ice and makes it very difficult to raise and lower the blade on an ATV.
I've never used a snow plow on a truck or an ATV, so I am unfamiliar with the process.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:08 AM
Pro Rider

Answers, to much of what you ask depends on where you live and how much snow you get. Your 500 can move a lot of snow dependent on if you have a place to put it, especially if you get a lot of snow. If your snow falls are light to moderate, then you most likely will have not problem with your 500. I have a 60 inch Glacier 2 and live in northern Wisconsin, where we get some larger snow falls with some drifting snow, and I have no problems, as I have places where I can put the snow.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:27 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

The key to plowing is traction and, as lovmudd said, having a place to plow it. If you live in an area that gets lots of snow you want to push the earliest snowfall back as far off the driveway as you can. Wet snow will be more difficult because of its weight. If you get alot of wet snow and try to push it you will lose traction. You just have to keep ahead of it.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:51 AM
Pro Rider

Shouldnt have any problems with it unless you get a blizzard. Even then if you stay on top it and push the snow as wide as possible at first you should be good. For longer driveways a windshield will keep you much cleaner and warmer.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:44 AM
Trailblazer

width of blade will make a difference too. if your gonna be pushing alot of snow at once, try a smaller blade. and chains for your tires don't hurt either

Old 10-29-2010, 07:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

You shouldn't have any problem at all. I live in a snow belt in Nova Scotia and we get a ton of snow! My driveway is also a litte over a 1/4 mile long and I plow it with a Honda Foreman 450. Like they have said push it as far off your driveway as possibe. I go one step farther , bcause of the amount of snow we get, I use a snow blower to get rid of the big piles of snow. Just remember to do this while the snow is still fresh.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:58 PM
Pro Rider

AND even though it does have the power to push snow in high range , you should use low range to keep the belt nice and cool

Old 10-29-2010, 08:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

yea what 4getful2 said always us low to plow. Like I said I use a Foreman 450 and thing is a TANK. For plowing I like to shift gears.... no belt to ever slip

Old 10-29-2010, 09:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your ride should push it no problem. Like the others said, start pushing it out as far as possible. Practice makes perfect when it comes to plowing. I plow about an acre at my place and take care of neighbors, family, etc. Had a Boss v-plow for one season and went back to using my wheeler. Much easier to get into tight spots and since I got tracks I can push it out way farther and pile it as high as I want. Much less wear and tear/maintenance on a wheeler than using a truck/plow and much cheaper cost. Think I paid around $5k for the truck plow and had less than $500 into my wheeler plow. Plus I have a lot of fun playing in the snow with my wheeler:-)

Old 10-30-2010, 01:41 AM
Pro Rider

I plow our 1/2 mile dirt road with a polaris 700, it does fine. In low range, it pushes it no problem. I think you would be better off with that than the plow for a truck.. the atv can get into tighter spots and is easier to adjust seeting on th eplow with. :/

Quick Reply: Plowing snow with Sportsman 500