Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Lost Bottom End Power??????????

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2001, 06:31 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok out there in Polaris Land.I have the HPD clutch kit,HPD pipe and muff,Air box mod.K-N filter. #165 Jet, 4 turns out on the mixture screw and about 7 used plugs with the right coloration looking plug in now.
The bottom end power that i had when all was stock was great.Now it is just a slug off the corners, but the mid and top end is like a raped wild cat on fire.
Every effort i have done to get the bottom end power back still just want work.
Am i missing something or just being a clutz.I have gone up and down on jetting and i no that i have the settings on the plug readings right.
any help will be so good for my sore tuning fingers lol.

Scrampaw ---- Memphis,tn. area
2001 500 4x4 Scrambler
HPD pipe and muff - #ATVP5
HPD 500 performance clutch kit-#atvck5ph
HPD air box mod.
ITP alum rims
K-N Filter

I maybe a Grand-Paw but i still try to hang with them there youngesters lol
Thanks all for any Help

Old 03-07-2001, 07:01 AM
Range Rover

Did you put your clutch kit in right did you make sure to put your secondary spring in the right hole and give it a twist 1/4 turn. As you can tell I am grasping at straws because i have no Idea just trying to help although check your carb for dirt or something in the pilot jet or needle that could be it to because they are used at lower speeds which is where your prob is and the main jet takes over up top where you say you have no problem.
I hope you get it fixed though because these are the same mods i am doing to my Scram I got the K$N filter in a 165 main jet in ordering my HPD pipe in the next couple of days And I am putting my HPD clutch kit in today but I choose a diffrent one than you I got the ATVCK5A I liked the engagement and shift out better.

I hope you get it working good. Let me know if ya find the problem.

Have a good one

Old 03-07-2001, 07:27 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey thanks Millenium,
Yes i have checked and rechecked these things and still no help. I even carried it down to a polaris mech. friend of mine that is race qualified and years of exp.We even took a stock carb out of box and performance was even worst than before. The motor will run out at 6600 RPM and then settle down at 6300 RPM. Is this enough RPM? or What? Guess i will give HPD another call today. Thanks again Millenium

Old 03-07-2001, 03:46 PM
Range Rover

It sounds to me like you you need to make it a half clip leaner on your needle. You should have gotten a little washer with your jets. I had a very similar problem with mine. you either need to take it out or move the E clip up and put it in.
Let me know how your needle is set.
and if you are allready using the washer on it.

good luck

Old 03-07-2001, 05:04 PM
Range Rover

Try unplugging your reverse override I know it sounds stupid but I heard somone say on another post that it was there problem hey it is worth a shot and it only takes a second.
take off your front nose piece look inside and you will see a female black rubber receptical there you will see a grey wire with an orange stripe and unplug it Thats it hey it is worth a try.
6300rpm sounds about right though sounds like it is still in the powerband of the engine I know some clutch kits do not let your engine rev as high it keeps it in the optimal power curve I just put mine on today and it does not rev as high either as it did but it is quicker it just does not seem it because of the revs but if I think of anything else I will give ya a shout.
Hope you get it fixed if you put lighter weights in the primary it will rev higher too.

Have a good one

Old 03-07-2001, 06:08 PM
Pro Rider

Hey scrampaw i live in west memphis ,lets hook up and ride some.where have you been rideing latly?i heard they shut covington pike down. email is ehaney@midsouth.rr.com

Old 03-07-2001, 07:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey MilleniumScr500, and all others out there that gave me some ideas and help.
Thanks to Mike at HPD i am on the right track.Motor was making the HP but not putting it to the ground. I went to the #2-#3 spots on the spring setting(#2 in the helix and #3 on the hub)Removed one shim between the hubs.I did have 1-3/4 in.belt tension (daaa me)now having 1 1/8 in tension using straight edge. Ole Scrambler is coming back to where it was. Having the hole shot power it is suppose to have.
Just got back in the house to let all no what is going on so maybe this will be of help to others.
(what you Think) Belt is running about an 1/8 of in.out of the hub now.Do i gamble and remove one more shim to get all of the bottom end back or any one got any ides.

Thanks all Polaris forum and HPD.Hope i can return the favor
Scrampaw 500 4x4 2001
HPD all the way