Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

01 xpedition electrical craziness...

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 08:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 xpedition electrical craziness...

I have a 01 Xpedition 425.. Never had any issues with it pretty much because of its limited use... It had sat for a good 1-1.5yr before I had it get all tuned up and running this past spring upon moving to my new house. Its only set for 2-3wks tops since then...
I got a snowplow to put in Sept and finally it was time to put it use... Used it monday &tues and was great... It had been starting at all the past couple months using the ES so I put my little charger on it(trickle 2amp) overnight wed. Go to use it yesterday and there was nothing off the starter. When i lift the "starter" button something just spun/buzzed(starter solenoid perhaps) It'd go for several seconds even i just bummed the starter... Hmm....
So decide to just get plowing, pull out of the garage, noticing that the green N is still on, go to put it in reverse and nothing.... No shift, no light nothing.. Then I noticed speedometer was dead, no display or background light.
Ok, ill try to plow only going fwd(doesnt really work fyi) In this short bit I got the reverse to work 1 or 2 that was it , no rev since. It then started to have trouble pushing and I noticed the AWD was kicking in and out. It went out in a snow bank, so i just sat there for min or 2 til it kicked back on and just went and parked it..
I sat with it a few times waiting and when the AWD light would come back on it coincided w/a solenoid click sound up front somewhere. At the end I no longer had the Green N light on nor come even when in N. With all this in mind, my headlights and the winch continued to work perfectly fine. And if I would shut the lights off, while the green N light still was on it got much brighter(obvisouly with less draw)

Back in the garage, i attempted to put my charger back on to see what would happen. Upon connecting the cables w/in 2-4secs something w/in the charger would pop internally and I'd see a light flash..Circuit breaker maybe, idk? The charging light wasnt on either. So i put it over on my mower and worked fine... charger is just a little 2/10/55 amp from carquest, has no amp meter or whatever on it tho.. i dont know if when i put this on overnight, did it pop all night/day long and somehow fry the system?? Although nothing was making noise when walked into the garage, because I wouldve noticed it...

I know this is long and perhaps not making total sense, but where in the world do i begin?? Im not really eletrically savy, I can do it with a good guide or steps,usually...
Reading through the Poo service manual going through the electronic section, it seems that if the speedometer takes a dump it could control a lot of similar problems ... But I dont have any of the tools it talks about using to test or any clue how to work them...
Any help would be appreciated...I got a few piles that I pushed up but not off the driveway when i tried to go that now are solid ice...Id like to move them soon

Old 12-11-2010, 03:18 AM
Pro Rider

I'd try taking the battery out and charging that way, then clean all your battery connections, especially the grounds and i believe there is more than one ground cable(frame to motor). look at the connections at ignition switch
Polaris must have changed things from '01 to '02, on the '02 i used to have the starter worked off the key switch(like a car) and not the handlebar switch. Y ou can manually put it into reverse by lifting on the lever by the reverse actuator, when in nuetral ,lift on lever and push down foot lever

Old 12-11-2010, 12:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

I pulled the battery out to try and it kept popping the charger off.. Went and found a load tester and showed nothing..Went and found someone w/a multimeter and it was only around 9.5-10v and while trying to power a light it would drop down to 7ish.. Attempt to charge it off a larger charger w/gauges and it was popping that one off as well, so 65 bucks later I have a new battery...
The guy lent me his tester so after installing the new battery i checked voltage to make sure nothing else might be wrong and it gave a consistent 14.2-14.3 sitting and only dropped down to mid 13 when running the winch...
I have reverse again and the reverse light on the speedo. But i DONT have the green N light, no power to anything else w/the speedo and no AWD still...

Update.. Ran the tests from the serivce book and it seems to point to a bad speedo... I looked one up on Partsland and its 320bucks!!! Looked w/no luck on ebay... Any reputable sites for used parts??

Old 12-12-2010, 09:56 AM
Pro Rider

and you did check the little bulbs inside. it's just that since you had battery issues, makes me wonder that it didn't overcharge and pop the bulbs . polaris's are kinda known for that.

babbits online
cheap cycle parts

Old 12-14-2010, 06:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by 4getful2
and you did check the little bulbs inside. it's just that since you had battery issues, makes me wonder that it didn't overcharge and pop the bulbs . polaris's are kinda known for that.

babbits online
cheap cycle parts
I didnt check the bulbs. My reverse bulb lights back up w/new battery but not the N light.. That one i think might require a new bulb, that's no biggie... For now I'm just going to try and get the speedo off, secure all cover the wires and just use a jumper to get my awd working.. Have to do something, have about 10-12" of snow in the driveway attm, with just as much again expected by tomorrow...