Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Replacing Heated Grips

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 07:22 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Heated Grips

Well... I have some repair to do. My son made a bad decision and let his buddy drive our 800 X2 and rolled it down a hill. We all are very lucky nobody was hurt.
Couple of questions, the handlebars are bent and need to be replaced or straightened. A new handlebar is 42 dollars. I am probably better off just replacing than trying to get them back in position by the time I calculate time and repaint. Can I salvage the hot grips and elements? The right side grip now spins on the bar.
Thanks.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:05 AM
Pro Rider

Kids are good at wrecking the old mans toys, glad everyones alright, you might get them somewhat straight, get about a 4 ft lenght of pipe that just fits ove r handlebars, and get a couple of your large , strong buddies to help hold machine while you lift on cheater pipe, you might want to take headlight pod apart and make sure the steering stem is not damaged, cant bekieve it didnt get the pod, look on ronnies .com for parts, usually a little cheaper, the box on the back is going to be $ costly, does the heated grips still get hot? if so you may get some grip glue and glue it back on the bar

Old 01-01-2011, 08:09 AM
Pro Rider

you shuld just ride it like that wish i had pics of my old bars.The grips were strait up and down just made throttle adjustments and i was good to go.Then i sold it so i bought new bars for it.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:09 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Kerbbirds
Kids are good at wrecking the old mans toys, glad everyones alright, you might get them somewhat straight, get about a 4 ft lenght of pipe that just fits ove r handlebars, and get a couple of your large , strong buddies to help hold machine while you lift on cheater pipe, you might want to take headlight pod apart and make sure the steering stem is not damaged, cant bekieve it didnt get the pod, look on ronnies .com for parts, usually a little cheaper, the box on the back is going to be $ costly, does the heated grips still get hot? if so you may get some grip glue and glue it back on the bar
I may consider straightening them. I would remove the bars and then attempt to bend them back into shape. Thats where the grip replacement question comes to mind. I too am surprised the pod made it. Not sure how that happened. I'm also surprised the taillamp is still mostly intact.(I think I can save it) My guess is the ATV Guru rear bumper helped out. That thing is strong. I did find out it rolled over sideways twice before stopping on it's side.
The hot grips still work great. The one is rotating though.
I see the box is 200 bones.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:44 AM
Trailblazer

I would suggest what Kerbbirds has in his post first. Straightening a bent piece in place has a better chance of getting the kinks back out. If you take them out, you will have a chance in putting new bends in different locations and might have trouble fitting them back in the clamps. You can always buy the new bars if you do not like the look and feel.

Glad everyone is ok, you can always fix the ride. Good luck

Old 01-01-2011, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I think kerbbirds idea is the best to try. You've got nothing to lose. The grips are formed over the heating element which is a harder plastic. A good glue should work. The box is expensive. I rolled mine on its side and the box came to rest against a tree. I had to get about $400 worth of plastics to repair it. Turned out it was a MX trail that the signs had fallen off at the start of the trail.

Old 01-01-2011, 12:32 PM
Pro Rider

The only thing I might add is be careful with the heating elements under the grips when trying to bend the bars back. You don't want to crush and damage them, as they are expensive to replace. I found the bars to be extremely strong and gave up trying to bend mine back into shape. I had to by new ones as I was afraid of tearing up something else. Good luck.

Old 01-01-2011, 01:20 PM
Pro Rider

My plan if I attempt to straighten is to remove everything and then try straighten. If not I still need to remove everything and replace the bars.

Old 01-01-2011, 06:16 PM
Pro Rider

if your gonna straighten them its better with them on machie cause it takes alot of force to do it,thats why you need a cheater pipe and a couple of buddies

Old 01-02-2011, 01:54 PM
Pro Rider

If the ends of the grips got torn, you could use the cheater pipe method with a BIG pointed prybar inside the bars, rather than over the bars, which could damge the heating element in the grips.
I use the cheater pipe method on them too. I just haven't done it on heated grip machines. On steering posts that get bent, I use the pry bar, cheater pipe method and it works good(till they bend the frame where the post mounts)

Quick Reply: Replacing Heated Grips