Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Carb swap questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 11:26 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know what the magnets on the back of the flywheel are secured with. I don't want to risk shaking them loose with the impact. I'm going to try to pop it off by hand. If that doesn't work, then I'll try the impact.

Old 02-15-2011, 04:13 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by SlowAndHighTBI
I don't know what the magnets on the back of the flywheel are secured with. I don't want to risk shaking them loose with the impact. I'm going to try to pop it off by hand. If that doesn't work, then I'll try the impact.
I have never used a 3 jaw puller to remove a flywheel. I wouldn't recommend it but without the specisl puller it;s a little hard to not try to come up with another method. I use an impact gun when I remove them, but with the special puller too. I have seen guys have trouble breaking magnets, but in my experience it was because they were trying to remove the flywheel by hitting the puller bolt with a hammer causing shockwaves I assume. Let us know how it goes.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:44 AM
Trailblazer

I ended up using a run of the mill 3 jaw puller on it. My flywheel had the 3 8mm openings. I checked the bolts I threaded in to them periodically to make sure they weren't stretching. I did end up using my snap on impact. It made short work of the job. I just made sure the puller had fresh lube on it. To my surprise it popped right off. The magnets were fine, and I didn't even have to persuade it with a hammer. I did experience a bit of difficulty however. WHY THE F***** WOULD POLARIS USE PHILLIPS HEAD FASTENERS TO SECURE THE MAGNETO TO THE CASE!!!!! They were so tight, I had to use vise grips to get them out. Now I'm just waiting on parts. My dealer wants 35 bucks for both seals....What a rip-off! I'm trying to find a cheaper source for those.

Old 02-20-2011, 01:05 PM
Pro Rider

Need an impact screwe driver for those phillips heads

Old 02-21-2011, 04:21 PM
Trailblazer

Yeah. An impact screwdriver would have come in handy. I'm leaning towards grade 8 torx head to put back in when I'm all done. Does anyone know where I can find crank seals for a good price?

Old 03-26-2011, 06:27 AM
Trailblazer

Ok, sorry about the long hiatus. We just got done moving....boy was that fun. Anyways, I put the new seals in. One of the seals I got was different (black rubber over the whole thing, I'm pretty sure this was the stator side) but it still fit good. I put most of the bike back together just to try running it. There is a huge improvement. The bike will rev nice, smokes way less, but now it wont idle. I had rebuilt the carb before hand with all new parts, and the gas wasn't connected to it while it sat. I'm going to try a different spark plug and see what happens. Does any one have any other ideas?