Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

06 sportsmen 500 HO just clicks but no start

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 09:32 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Remove the seat and air box to remove the starter, its not a bad job only two bolts hold the starter. The old hit the starter with a hammer trick sometimes can jar the brush free but it will keep sticking unless clean right.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:06 PM
Trailblazer

update.
I completed my starter removal and installation . i followed exactly what this forum recommended by going down through the seat and removing the air box. i did take some time and remove the rear rack and rear fender. that makes things also easier, and also gave me a chance to clean the bike in places i don't often get to.

when inspecting the removed starter, i was unable to turn the starter shaft at all, so decided to take it apart and get a look. the brushes were fine, a little dirty with soot but otherwise fine. when i removed the shaft end it was quite clear that the shaft was corroded and very dirty. i tryed wire brushing the corrosion and rusty magnetic debris. i put it back together and bench tested it to see if it wood spin (hold it tight) and although it did, it sounded like crap. so i installed a new one from DB Electric ($38 plus $12 shipping, had it in 2 days). and afterr putting everything together, it starter right up. Awesome!!!

incedently about two months ago i replaced the bendix because it was not throwing out and and engaging the wheel. i could hear the starter spinning fine but that was. when i inspected the bendix it was all corroded and rusted and a new one fixed the problem (thanks DB Electric).

So i guess the water that got into the recoil housing and did the damage to the bendix a while ago must have also gotten into the starter through the shaft end and quietly caused the damage until finally the starter seized.

Makes you think twice about going through that deep water instead of just going around.

Anyway im now ready for my trip to the Hatfield McCoy in WV next month. Cant wait.

Thanks for all the great responses and support.

Eric in Ct.

Old 03-09-2011, 03:21 PM
Trailblazer

I have a simialr problem on my 08 sportsman 800 HO. When I turn the key it just clicks, the headlights and pod display seem to work fine. The battery has 10.8 to 11 volts the battery side of the solenoid reads the same as the battery but the starter side of the solenoid reads me nothing when I turn the key. Before I call it my solenoid I wondering is it possible 10.8 to 11 volts is not enough to keep the solenoid kicked in? I have it on the charger now and gonna check it in 20 mins to see if it wants to try and start. I have a wireless winch which I know talks a little power even when its turned off but if I leave it sit for a couple/few days it seems to struggle to turn over........ its like it wants to clicks bout 3-5 times then starts. Any help or advice would be appreaciated. Thanks

Old 03-09-2011, 05:19 PM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

If you suspect the solenoid, try jumping the posts on it when its acting up. If it works while jumping, thats a good clue its going bad.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:56 PM
Pro Rider

battery voltage should be 12.5 when shut off 13,5 when reved up a little

Old 03-09-2011, 10:18 PM
Trailblazer

after letting it charge for 30mins it started so I got it in the heated side of the shed now and she's sitting on the charger. but this could be a sign of the battery heading south for good?

Old 03-10-2011, 08:15 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

So i guess the water that got into the recoil housing and did the damage to the bendix a while ago must have also gotten into the starter through the shaft end and quietly caused the damage until finally the starter seized.

Makes you think twice about going through that deep water instead of just going around.
I leaned a few years ago to silicons the pull rope handle over the rop hole, its the only way water can reach the Bendix,$tator,flywheel and pluse coil, all of which do not like taking swims.