Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 10:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 sportsman 400 starting issue

Hi guys ,I have a 2001 Polaris sportsman 400. I'm having starting issues, the battery is fully charged ,the key is on ,the switches are in the right position, and its in neutral. I've put a meter on the wire going to the solenoid, and I'm not getting any power to it. I took apart the Starter switch assembly to make sure it was all clean and it was, put it back together and still not getting any power. The solenoid will not click and I can jump it across and get the starter to spin. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks very much for the help.

Old 06-27-2015, 07:11 AM
Trailblazer

will it start if you pull start it?

Old 06-27-2015, 09:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by ranvette
will it start if you pull start it?
Thank you for responding. Yes it will, I'm just not getting power to the solenoid from the start button. Thank you

Old 06-27-2015, 09:21 AM
Trailblazer

If you have a wireing diagram i would try jumping the right wires at the ign switch connector.I have also read power has to go threw the left handle bar switch also.I am going by my 04 sportsman 400.I assume yours may be the same.There is also plastics bags with wireing in them on top of the radiator area which could have problems.Haveing a wireing diagram and understanding the flow of power should allow you to figure it right out.Also try reseating the connector on the left handle bar switch.Basically you need to know what wires to jump in a few areas to pin the problem spot down

Old 06-27-2015, 12:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by youranvette
If you have a wireing diagram i would try jumping the right wires at the ign switch connector.I have also read power has to go threw the left handle bar switch also.I am going by my 04 sportsman 400.I assume yours may be the same.There is also plastics bags with wireing in them on top of the radiator area which could have problems.Haveing a wireing diagram and understanding the flow of power should allow you to figure it right out.Also try reseating the connector on the left handle bar switch.Basically you need to know what wires to jump in a few areas to pin the problem spot down
Thank you, I'll dig up a wiring diagram and check those bags and see if I have any water in them and make sure the circuit breakers are good. , Thank you

Old 06-27-2015, 02:35 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by nature violator
Thank you, I'll dig up a wiring diagram and check those bags and see if I have any water in them and make sure the circuit breakers are good. , Thank you
Both these areas are common problems on not electric starting along with no power to lights,etc,but you can usually pull start. On the older models the ignition is magnetically triggered not electrical triggered. The newer dci ignition systems that have to have the battery for ignition. Check that the two connectors on the left switch are clean,use dielectric grease. Slide the on/off switch back and forth to remove any corrosion from the contacts. On the sealed circuit breaker up from the battery check that you have power on the red wires on each side of the pouch. If you just have power on the battery side,split the pouch open and check out the breaker for corrosion. Even though sealed they're not water proof. Here's an old one and new one. You can get them at any auto store for a few bucks.

Attached Thumbnails starting issues-1000936wj9.jpg   starting issues-image.jpg  
Old 07-03-2015, 03:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

OK I'm going to say this now, I bought this thing used and I didn't know. what I'm going to say is
I feel really stupid . The run, stop switch , I didn't know you put it into run position and PUSH UP.
I went to my Polaris dealer he laughed and said "it's a common mistake for people who didn't own one before with no manual ." Thanks for all the help she starts and runs good needs carb rebuilt.
OH and all the lettering on the switch is bleached off from the sun light.

Old 07-03-2015, 03:34 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by nature violator
OK I'm going to say this now, I bought this thing used and I didn't know. what I'm going to say is
I feel really stupid . The run, stop switch , I didn't know you put it into run position and PUSH UP.
I went to my Polaris dealer he laughed and said "it's a common mistake for people who didn't own one before with no manual ." Thanks for all the help she starts and runs good needs carb rebuilt.
OH and all the lettering on the switch is bleached off from the sun light.
Yes,this stupid start/on/off combo switch was around a couple years before they went to the 3 position car type ignition switch.Never cared for them myself. Liked the separate start button. You're not the first one to be baffled by this.. Glad you solved the problem..

Old 07-03-2015, 06:33 PM
Trailblazer

Dont fee bad i got confused trying to start a 04 sportsman 400 we bought,I broke the pull start rope off trying to start it with the red switch off.And yes it says OFF ON OFF but the print was sun bleached to.Anyway i am sure the pull start rope was on its way out anyway.I did learn a lesson even though i bought a low mileage machine i should have done my home work before buying it on this forum.$1000 bucks later for parts added to the buying price. and lots of my labor and its a nice machine.

Old 07-03-2015, 08:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

Lol ,Well thank you. I've got 500 in mine. It starts good now, just got done rebuilding the carb and starts right up. The only thing I need to b up is a new shifter ****. The guy I bought it from, his lab ate the plastic off.