Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Can starter on SP 500 HO be safely removed without removing clutch assy

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 02:25 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What Readymixer said.

Old 03-04-2011, 06:55 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks guys, that is a big help and I will report back on how it went.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well I got off early today and decided to at least try and get the starter out today then install the new one tomorrow. I took my time and worked it out the way discribed here. I figured that was not to bad and decided to put the new one in. Again just took my time and reversed ordered everything and the ATV is back together and starting fine. The only thing I have left is the new bendix and I may try and do that tomorrow. I would say from start to finish it took me about 2 hours to do the starter replacement. Thanks again guys for the help and advice.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:19 PM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

Originally Posted by Hunter11
Well I got off early today and decided to at least try and get the starter out today then install the new one tomorrow. I took my time and worked it out the way discribed here. I figured that was not to bad and decided to put the new one in. Again just took my time and reversed ordered everything and the ATV is back together and starting fine. The only thing I have left is the new bendix and I may try and do that tomorrow. I would say from start to finish it took me about 2 hours to do the starter replacement. Thanks again guys for the help and advice.
The bendix is a walk in the park. Just make sure you get the recoil housing sealed back up good.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:33 AM
Trailblazer

I also completed my starter removal and installation . i followed exactly what this forum recommended by going down through the seat and removing the air box. i did take some time and remove the rear rack and rear fender. that makes things also easier, and also gave me a chance to clean the bike in places i don't often get to.

when inspecting the removed starter, i was unable to turn the starter shaft at all, so decided to take it apart and get a look. the brushes were fine, a little dirty with soot but otherwise fine. when i removed the shaft end it was quite clear that the shaft was corroded and very dirty. i tryed wire brushing the corrosion and rusty magnetic debris. i put it back together and bench tested it to see if it wood spin (hold it tight) and although it did, it sounded like crap. so i installed a new one from DB Electric ($38 plus $12 shipping, had it in 2 days). and afterr putting everything together, it starter right up. Awesome!!!

incedently about two months ago i replaced the bendix because it was not throwing out and and engaging the wheel. i could hear the starter spinning fine but that was. when i inspected the bendix it was all corroded and rusted and a new one fixed the problem (thanks DB Electric).

So i guess the water that got into the recoil housing and did the damage to the bendix a while ago must have also gotten into the starter through the shaft end and quietly caused the damage until finally the starter seized.

Makes you think twice about going through that deep water instead of just going around.

Anyway im now ready for my trip to the Hatfield McCoy in WV next month. Cant wait.

Thanks for all the great responses and support.

Eric in Ct.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:20 AM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

Glad to see you got it back together and working properly. I kinda agree on going through deep water as well. I've gone through and done a above and beyond sealing of anything I can find on my bike and will go through water up to lights but I don't make a habit of it. Only on a have to basis.