Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris Xplorer 400 clutch noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 07:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wenty
Going in reverse against the reverse limiter shouldn't be done, it's not recommended. It's there as a safety feature to prevent one from losing control in reverse/high speed. But, going in reverse slowly before you hit the limiter is fine, no reason to override. You should use the override anytime you need power or to get the tires turning(mud, etc).

Wenty
thanks for the info,..learning lotta stuff from all yall!! wished id got into quads 30 years ago!!

Old 06-06-2011, 12:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

sorry i haven't replied to this in a while. i did get the new belt and got it on. it seems to run the same as before no change there. i also went ahead and change out the spark plug with a new one but same there. in reality it runs but my biggest deal is that in high gear it takes a while to get going. when i got it none of the light anywhere worked so i got the book for it and found most of them did not have the ground working so i was able to rig up a new ground and they all work now.
the only thing i can not get working is the 4x4. this has a small push button to engage the 4x4. when i push it the light doesn't come on below the button and it doesn't kick into 4x4. i got stuck once and that's when i found out the front wheels weren't kicking in. i'm not sure if it's just an electrical issue since i haven't dove into that yet. but i guess that's next.

Old 06-06-2011, 01:26 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by serrato01
sorry i haven't replied to this in a while. i did get the new belt and got it on. it seems to run the same as before no change there. i also went ahead and change out the spark plug with a new one but same there. in reality it runs but my biggest deal is that in high gear it takes a while to get going. when i got it none of the light anywhere worked so i got the book for it and found most of them did not have the ground working so i was able to rig up a new ground and they all work now.
the only thing i can not get working is the 4x4. this has a small push button to engage the 4x4. when i push it the light doesn't come on below the button and it doesn't kick into 4x4. i got stuck once and that's when i found out the front wheels weren't kicking in. i'm not sure if it's just an electrical issue since i haven't dove into that yet. but i guess that's next.
If your Explorer 400 is a 98 or older model,there is a replacement bulb behind the awd switch. Bulbs on these models complete the circuit or awd won't work! Plus if takes a while on getting up speed in hi gear with a new belt, could have rear clutch ramp button wear or helix damage? OPT

Old 06-06-2011, 01:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks for the reply old polaris tech. it's a 95 and when i ran new ground to all the other lights i also found everyone of them was burnt out so i had to change them also. i'm betting that is probably the same thing here. i'll check it out. any idea if it's a standard blub i can pickup at a local auto parts store?
and on the clutch issue, is that an expensive fix?

Old 06-06-2011, 02:03 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by serrato01
thanks for the reply old polaris tech. it's a 95 and when i ran new ground to all the other lights i also found everyone of them was burnt out so i had to change them also. i'm betting that is probably the same thing here. i'll check it out. any idea if it's a standard blub i can pickup at a local auto parts store?
and on the clutch issue, is that an expensive fix?
a 95 dont have AWD light,...but if all your bulbs are blown,..good chance your volt regulator ant regulating...or dead battery!

Old 06-06-2011, 02:56 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by bigcam400
a 95 dont have AWD light,...but if all your bulbs are blown,..good chance your volt regulator ant regulating...or dead battery!
95 has the same awd switch as the 98 model. Bulb # 4030047 back of push button switch. If bulb fails the circuit is not complete, will not engage awd. This system changed on 99 models to where bulb didn't have any control over the awd systwm. NOT sure where another source of supply for bulb is other than Polaris dealers, very small bulb with a slot in the back of bulb to remove and install! OPT

Old 06-06-2011, 03:02 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
95 has the same awd switch as the 98 model. Bulb # 4030047 back of push button switch. If bulb fails the circuit is not complete, will not engage awd. This system changed on 99 models to where bulb didn't have any control over the awd systwm. NOT sure where another source of supply for bulb is other than Polaris dealers, very small bulb with a slot in the back to remove and install! OPT
funny,..my 95 dont have a light on 4x4 butten,...an 4x4 works...you know more than me,...should i go lookin in side switch fer a bulb??

Old 06-06-2011, 03:09 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

funny,..my 95 dont have a light on 4x4 butten,...an 4x4 works...you know more than me,...should i go lookin in side switch fer a bulb??
If you don't have push button switch on the throttle housing for the awd,then some one has probably rewired it direct!! Look up Pure Polaris Parts Catalog and you will see it on the throttle housing. OPT

Old 06-06-2011, 03:13 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
If you don't have push button switch on the throttle housing for the awd,then some one has probably rewired it direct!! Look up Pure Polaris Parts Catalog and you will see it on the throttle housing. OPT
got red butten on throttle housing,..but no light

Old 06-06-2011, 03:24 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

got red butten on throttle housing,..but no light
If switch housing is still there,then still possible was rewired under the front panel! Had a few guys just eliminate the switch because of the bulb having to complete the circuit and then had full time awd just like the old 1988 Trail Boss 4x4 models (not able to turn awd off or on, front wheels kicked in when it needed it!). OR can be shift box switch bad also not triggering awd light!! OPT

Quick Reply: Polaris Xplorer 400 clutch noise