Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris Xplorer 400 clutch noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 03:31 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
If switch housing is still there,then still possible was rewired under the front panel! Had a few guys just eliminate the switch because of the bulb having to complete the circuit and then had full time awd just like the old 1988 Trail Boss 4x4 models (not able to turn awd off or on, front wheels kicked in when it needed it!). OPT
well it gose in an out with buttun,..have issues with it not stayin in if i cut off motor for a cig brake,...backin up seems to help it ingage,..maybe some body straght wired the bulb part of it???idk

Old 06-06-2011, 03:51 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by bigcam400
well it gose in an out with buttun,..have issues with it not stayin in if i cut off motor for a cig brake,...backin up seems to help it ingage,..maybe some body straght wired the bulb part of it???idk
They made the awd TOO complicated up until the 99 models,the shift box switch if worn would cause the bulb to not to light or light was intermittent AND if the awd bulb didn't light up,NO awd either because of the shift box switch or just a burnt out awd indicator bulb! Didn't like the old system. Basically BOTH the bulb had to be good and the shift box switch also! OPT

Old 06-07-2011, 11:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Opt you are right the bulb is burned out. But I tried to test to make sure i was getting power to it and its not hot when I push the button in? I checked my ground and its good. Does it need to be in gear and moving in order for it get power to that light? I tried it while I put it in low gear and the button in and also while pushing the override button.
What are your thoughts if I were to bypass the switch and wire it off the same lead as the head light? That way I can kick it on and off with the head light switch?

Old 06-08-2011, 12:01 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by serrato01
Opt you are right the bulb is burned out. But I tried to test to make sure i was getting power to it and its not hot when I push the button in? I checked my ground and its good. Does it need to be in gear and moving in order for it get power to that light? I tried it while I put it in low gear and the button in and also while pushing the override button.
What are your thoughts if I were to bypass the switch and wire it off the same lead as the head light? That way I can kick it on and off with the head light switch?
Has to be in gear to have power to awd light(doesn't have to be moving),PLUS if switch in shift box is not making good contact then awd wont work!!! Have had lot of cases in HI range a "little" extra push forward on the lever would push the switch in further and awd light would come on! Both the shift box switch and the bulb have to be in working order! A lot of times on the older machines customers didn't have the bulb light up in HI range,but it would light up in low for the simple fact the shift box lever when worn would not push the switch in far enough and in low it would because people didn't use low that often! I replace a LOT of shift box switches that were worn out,worn shift boxes themselves,plus bulbs also. JUST a funky way for awd to work on these models! If the shift lever has a lot of slack in neutral (back and forth) maybe part of the problem. THREE things for the awd to work properly: good awd bulb, switch in shift box, and the shift box itself! OPT

Old 06-08-2011, 12:34 PM
Trailblazer

You said your speedo doesn't work. I know from mine, I have a 1999 xplorer 400. If you don't have the speedo working, neither does the AWD. The light on the AWD will not light if the speedo is broken. Hope this helps.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:28 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by trbojet1
You said your speedo doesn't work. I know from mine, I have a 1999 xplorer 400. If you don't have the speedo working, neither does the AWD. The light on the AWD will not light if the speedo is broken. Hope this helps.
Quite a difference between the 95 and 99 models! 95 model speedos are mechanical cable operated, and shift switch is in the shift box along with interconnecting push button awd on throttle assembly. The 99 model is when things started changing. Your switches are located on the transmission (where they should be) plus your speedo has a hall sensor for the speed and mileage accumulation. The 95 speedo had no effect on the awd system.Strictly mechanical with cable going to left side of transmission and with just a replaceable bulb to light up display . OPT