Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

hitch, reciever question

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 08:34 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hitch, reciever question

So I have a 1.25" to 2" adapter hitch for my 850xp. When installing it to the bike the adapter has significant play in it, side to side up and down. Has anyone came up with solution on how to correct this.
I was thinking of shims as a temp solution but ideally would like to have a more permanent fix.

The stock receiver on the bike is new by the way and not bent or abused.

Thank you,

Old 03-31-2011, 10:00 AM
Trailblazer

If you have use of a welder you could run a few beads down the length of it on the corners (2 per side) and grind em down until it fits snuggly. Make sure the pin whole remains centered though

Old 03-31-2011, 10:32 AM
Trailblazer

I was thinking of doing something similar to that but using a shim welded down then grinding it down to a perfect fit. however welding on something that thin may not be the best choice. Also thought about attaching some legs to it for bracing somehow.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

There are also companies that make a 2" receiver for the Sportsman lineup. Kolpin comes to mind and there are probably a couple more.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:53 AM
Trailblazer

Yes I realize that there is 2" receivers available however there is still play on them as well. Yes if I used that then there would only be one connection point thereby reducing the side to side up down slop. I decided not to go that route for a couple reasons. One; I feel the 2" receiver's such as from Koplin are very over priced, I could build one for a lot cheaper. Two. I don't care for how they mount the height is higher than the 1.25 I have now. I would then have to buy another drop down hitch like 10" or so in order to match up with what I'm pulling. But thank you for the suggestion! I just need to come up with a final solution to this problem as I can't have my implement bouncing around. Any other ideas I'm all ears

This topic is a bit of a sore spot with me; Most items to be pulled require a hitch to be at a lower height to properly align with the hitch pin. For example hard wagon, rollers, blades, thatchers. Polaris or as far as I know does not offer a 1.25" hitch greater than a 4" drop, nor does any other company. If so I have not been able to find them. So the option is to go to a 2" receiver and get a 6 or 8" drop hitch. Granted 2" hitch's are more common and I would say most atv enthusiast probably have a hitch on there truck so. My point being it would be nice if Polaris would finally provide as a standard 2" receivers on the bike to begin with. As a result it would make life a lot easier on the customers. That's my opinion sorry don't need to get on the soap box.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

not sure what your hitch looks like, but a buddy of mine had a dirt bike carrier and was tired of it "wobblin" so he drilled a hole on the bottom of the hitch (on the truck) foward of the pin and welded a nut, so when he installed a bolt thru the nut it pushed the carrier up tightly in the reciever hitch. he also did the same on top behind the pin. not sure both were needed. sorry don't have a pict of it.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:31 PM
Trailblazer

Thats not a bad idea to use a nut and bolt to provide pressure on the hitch assy. I will have to look at that possibility when I get home to my bike. No pic needed I understand completely what you mean. Thank you !

Old 03-31-2011, 04:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

I stole his idea too

Old 03-31-2011, 10:34 PM
Chasing trails, Dodging dust devils.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe this could work for you.

http://www.thehitchstore.com/class-1-ball-mount-5-916-length-6-drop-p-2230.html

Model:45028
Class:Class I
GTW:2000
TW:200
Drill:No
Shank Diameter:</SPAN>3/4"
Rec. Tube Size:1 1/4 "
Drop:6 "
Rise:4 5/8 "

Old 04-01-2011, 09:49 AM
Pro Rider

do you have the hitch receiver mounted to your rear rack or something? I couldn't imagine having to put a 6" drop hitch on the back of a 4wheeler to match the hight of something that would be pulled.... I have looked at the 850's and they're big, but they aren't THAT big, unless you have a REALLY low slung trailer... and on the original question I have seen a rubber sleeve that goes around a 2" slide in, but I have absolutely no idea where it came from or who's truck I saw it on to ask em. Not even sure if it works but you could try to find something like that for the 1 1/4, or just wrap a half a dozen or so rubbers around it LOL

Quick Reply: hitch, reciever question