Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Performance loss from adding wheels/tires on 550 XP

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 05:35 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by beergut
x2 on the above statement-

stock clutch is fine until you start running with 28" or larger tires. That 550xp will handle it fine.
I have to disagree.Put a tach on one and see what I mean.You may not feel it in the seat but the motor feels it.The big bores not so much but the 500/550s will.Clutching on these automatics is crucial and is a learned art and when right you know it.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:22 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ftwflh
I have to disagree.Put a tach on one and see what I mean.You may not feel it in the seat but the motor feels it.The big bores not so much but the 500/550s will.Clutching on these automatics is crucial and is a learned art and when right you know it.

doesn't the 550 have 26" stock- he's keeping it at 26"...?

I really don't think there will be any need to re-clutch.

the clutch will not notice the extra pounds- the manufacturer factors in at least an extra 300lbs of rack cargo + rider weight when designing the stock clutch - they cant expect someone to "re-clutch" a motor just because they are using the racks A few extra lbs per tire really shouldn't make any difference...

Old 04-11-2011, 06:51 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doesn't have to clutch it but like I said its all personal prefrence and what you want to do with it tire wieght is not that big of an issue it just all depends how far in you want to go I personaly put 26" on my sportsman (stock where 25") and put a 2300 stall in it I lost about 6mph off of top end but could pull the front when I wanted to and it made it great for trail riding. clutching also works wonders in deep mud same horse more torque. In my manual with the stock clutch set up at 750rpm I had roughly 15hp at take off with it stalling to 2300 it is almost double's

If you ride alot of mud, hill climbs, or just like to crawle rocks I would clutch it if you trail ride more than the others let it be.

Old 04-13-2011, 04:31 PM
Pro Rider

Yea, clutching the bikes a little over the top,its most defiantly not that serious. Like I said, you have a 600. Plenty of power! Buy whatever tires you want, put them on and ride!

Lol Its not like your throwing 28"s on a blaster....

Old 04-13-2011, 05:38 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!

Originally Posted by 420Pimp
Yea, clutching the bikes a little over the top,its most defiantly not that serious. Like I said, you have a 600. Plenty of power! Buy whatever tires you want, put them on and ride!

Lol Its not like your throwing 28"s on a blaster....

Guys I have been modding Polaris for over 15yrs and have a very good concept on how the CVT systems operate and what each of the components do.I have set up mudders to drag to mean trail machines.AND YES clutching is serious.Not only will you loose some power but not getting the clutching right will cause problems such as smoking and blowing belts.But if you guys dont want my advice on these thing or think I am full of it I will refrain from posting on this forum until asked for correct info.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:58 PM
Pro Rider

Guys I have been modding Polaris for over 15yrs and have a very good concept on how the CVT systems operate and what each of the components do.I have set up mudders to drag to mean trail machines.AND YES clutching is serious.Not only will you loose some power but not getting the clutching right will cause problems such as smoking and blowing belts.But if you guys dont want my advice on these thing or think I am full of it I will refrain from posting on this forum until asked for correct info.
No by all means good advice ,never said it wasn't true. The guy has a brain and will obviously choose what he wants to do.... Just saying for the normal joe shmo,I dont think they want to go threw the extra work regarding some new shoes, regardless if it will make a belt or 2 last longer.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:01 PM
Quad Patrol

Originally Posted by 420Pimp
No by all means good advice ,never said it wasn't true. The guy has a brain and will obviously choose what he wants to do.... Just saying for the normal joe shmo,I dont think they want to go threw the extra work regarding some new shoes, regardless if it will make a belt or 2 last longer.
All it takes is a simple spring change or tension setting change.But................who cares
DONE

Old 04-13-2011, 06:43 PM
Trailblazer

I will refrain from posting on this forum until asked for correct info.

May I have the correct info please

Old 04-13-2011, 06:59 PM
Quad Patrol

Originally Posted by Nillious
May I have the correct info please
Done answered that in earlier post on this thread.
Want any thing else pm me

Old 04-14-2011, 10:32 AM
Weekend Warrior

ftwflh...If a person is not an extreme rock crawler, mud rider, who uses their atv for work on the farm, would they need to re-clutch for stock size but heavier tires? Spartacus seems to be an ideal tire for farm work as it's rain or shine 24/7.

Quick Reply: Performance loss from adding wheels/tires on 550 XP