Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

99 sportsman hillard hub question

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 07:53 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 sportsman hillard hub question

Can any one tell me on the front hub where the coil slides on theres an inner and outer pole where the coil sits between looks like the hub was over tightened at one point the inner is crushed in. is the inner part of the strut housing? the inner and outer are suposed to be flush with a straight edge and there not even close!

Old 04-10-2011, 07:55 PM
Trailblazer

the armature plate actually has a bowl shape to it where the inner was crushed in. and its suposed to be flat to !

Old 04-10-2011, 08:27 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by jflib74
Can any one tell me on the front hub where the coil slides on theres an inner and outer pole where the coil sits between looks like the hub was over tightened at one point the inner is crushed in. is the inner part of the strut housing? the inner and outer are suposed to be flush with a straight edge and there not even close!
If the inner face is ground down,this is part of the strut housing. The top sleeve is a press fit that goes over the coil. Both should be even with each other (give or take .001 difference) and fairly smooth,not rough. You can try to smooth out,but if its like the ones I've encountered it will affect awd and strut may have to be replaced? If you could post a picture sure would help! OPT

Old 04-10-2011, 09:14 PM
Trailblazer

the funny part is this side works fine! i took it apart to see what was different because the drivers side doesn't unlock it stays locked all the time.

Attached Thumbnails 99 sportsman hillard hub question-photo.jpg   99 sportsman hillard hub question-photo-2-.jpg  
Old 04-10-2011, 09:41 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

the funny part is this side works fine! i took it apart to see what was different because the drivers side doesn't unlock it stays locked all the time.
From what I could tell it looks like the inner is not ground that bad, but the outer sleeve is past clearance? If the other side is engaged all the time,its usually the armature plate being magnetized, I would at least replace the plates. Does outer sleeve fit tight against strut and enclose coil assy good? Outer sleeve could have moved if didn't have enough silicone when installed,BUT looks flush with strut. The plate looks warped and deformed though,could have been too tight.Be sure to torque to 12 foot pounds only on hub nut. I guess the old saying if it ain't broke.................. OPT

Old 04-10-2011, 09:55 PM
Trailblazer

That black plate is the armature plate correct? If I put a new one on it won't touch the inner it'll be off like a 16th of an inch. And if that is the armature plate the other one doesn't seem magnetized any other ideas

Old 04-10-2011, 10:00 PM
Trailblazer

The speedo needle doesn't work buy hours, miles light up but speedo issues usually makes the 4 x 4 not work at all correct? Sorry for all the questions!

Old 04-10-2011, 10:20 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

That black plate is the armature plate correct? If I put a new one on it won't touch the inner it'll be off like a 16th of an inch. And if that is the armature plate the other one doesn't seem magnetized any other ideas
1/16 of an inch isn't that far off,just dont over tighten the hub nut and see if operates correctly with all wheels off the ground.I still would replace both plates as the other will eventually need replacing,not that expensive! Make sure you use Polaris Demand Drive plus hub fluid. Trying to help you keep the strut if possible.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:21 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

The speedo needle doesn't work buy hours, miles light up but speedo issues usually makes the 4 x 4 not work at all correct? Sorry for all the questions!
Usually the wheel speed sensor fails on right front caliper,won't show speed or mileage

Old 04-29-2011, 11:30 AM
Trailblazer

All back together and that side still doesnt work think theres to much space between innerand outer cant have more then .001 correct? Driverzside works awesome now! Getting closer!

Quick Reply: 99 sportsman hillard hub question