Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

trans problems w/01 Scrambler

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 09:46 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trans problems w/01 Scrambler

The problem I'm having with my 01 Scrambler 500, is it doesnt want to stay in H . It stays in R just fine. I have searched and found out that the problem is most likely the Engagement dog and or the shift fork that needs replaced. I have adj.,d the shift rod and that didnt work so I'm going to ceck the fluid today but I have a feeling thats not the problem.

So who has done this and how hard is it ? Is there any specail tools that are needed ?

Old 04-17-2011, 09:57 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by flimmy1
The problem I'm having with my 01 Scrambler 500, is it doesnt want to stay in H . It stays in R just fine. I have searched and found out that the problem is most likely the Engagement dog and or the shift fork that needs replaced. I have adj.,d the shift rod and that didnt work so I'm going to ceck the fluid today but I have a feeling thats not the problem.

So who has done this and how hard is it ? Is there any specail tools that are needed ?
Hardest part is to get trans out of the frame! Have to pull clutches,need primary clutch puller,the rest just common tools. Yes its usually the sliding dog gear and mating gear,and shift fork,PLUS always replace the oil seals and chain while you are there,usually stretched out. Just check the gears for wear and shiny/ground down areas. OPT

Old 04-17-2011, 10:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks

I just bought the quad about 2 wks ago and everything wored great until i was out riding the other day and it wouldnt stay in H. It didnt give me any signs ahead of time. I,m just glad I made it home that day.

and It will go into gear but seems to slide out when you start to give it gas.

Old 04-17-2011, 10:13 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Thanks

I just bought the quad about 2 wks ago and everything wored great until i was out riding the other day and it wouldnt stay in H. It didnt give me any signs ahead of time. I,m just glad I made it home that day.

and It will go into gear but seems to slide out when you start to give it gas.
Could be just the internal chain slipping a lot of the time! But check gears also. OPT

Old 04-19-2011, 07:32 AM
Pro Rider

This happened to me two winters ago out in the middle of a frozen lake, 30 mins later in reverse and I was home, I never opened up the tranny I had a spare to use so I did that, best of luck

Old 04-25-2011, 08:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok I finaly got the primary clutch puller and working on getting the trans out. Now the big question is HOW do you get it out ? Everything is all unbolted and I cant seem to get it out. The only thing still connected is the front driveshaft and that looks like it will just slide out. Does the swingarm need to come off ? If anyone has an easier way I'd be willing to pm you my # so I can get this fixed.

Thanks

Old 04-25-2011, 08:41 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Ok I finaly got the primary clutch puller and working on getting the trans out. Now the big question is HOW do you get it out ? Everything is all unbolted and I cant seem to get it out. The only thing still connected is the front driveshaft and that looks like it will just slide out. Does the swingarm need to come off ? If anyone has an easier way I'd be willing to pm you my # so I can get this fixed.

Thanks
Drive out clevis pin in front prop shaft u-joint assy at front differential ,drive prop shaft back off of front differential towards rear,move front of prop shaft to left of differential,then can drive rear of shaft off transmission,then trans can be pulled out passenger side or even up through top of frame. Sometimes a little hard to remove prop shaft from the trans,an air impact helps! You just have to turn trans and wiggle out of frame! Just dont damage trans splines or prop shaft! OPT

Old 04-26-2011, 04:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks OPT its out now

Now I tore it apart and cant't see any wear on the gears or the dog so I'm going to take it to the dealer and see if they can tell me it has any wear on them. The fork only had slite wear on it not even enough to catch when your run your finger nail across it.

So i think I'm going to head p to my local dealer and see ifthey can tell me whats worn.

Old 04-26-2011, 04:20 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If you still have apart check the silent chain,if has a lot of slack could be the problem,plus the gear teeth itself on the small forward gear and also if the dogs on the sliding gear(hi/rev) is real shiny and worn. OPT

Old 04-26-2011, 04:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

The dogs looked fine not alot of wear. The chain does have some slop in it , side to side maybe. If you hold it horizontal it has up and down play and the teeth didnt look to bad to me.

So the chain can cause the trans to slide out of forward when you give it gas ?

Quick Reply: trans problems w/01 Scrambler