Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Are 2001 tires too old to trust?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 01:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Are 2001 tires too old to trust?

So I recently purchased a 2001 Polaris 500HO that appears to have the original tires on it...they "seem" ok, good tread and all ...it was barely ridden by its previous owner. Great for the machine, bad for the tires (?) I have noticed dry rot cracks on the fronts around the lugs in the tread area. If this were an auto I would say no doubt they are trash. but this isn't a car. are they really trash? can I still trust them not to tear or split while out on the trail? This is the real dilemna...trustworthiness... Opinions?

Old 04-26-2011, 01:48 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SOLOLUCKY
So I recently purchased a 2001 Polaris 500HO that appears to have the original tires on it...they "seem" ok, good tread and all ...it was barely ridden by its previous owner. Great for the machine, bad for the tires (?) I have noticed dry rot cracks on the fronts around the lugs in the tread area. If this were an auto I would say no doubt they are trash. but this isn't a car. are they really trash? can I still trust them not to tear or split while out on the trail? This is the real dilemna...trustworthiness... Opinions?
If the tread is still good, I would ride it until I had a problem with one before I replaced them. If money is not an issue, I would replace them. If you are like me and gas prices have you a little strapped, carry a can of fix-o-flat and a plug kit and ride it !
I once had a hole punctured in the sidewall of a tire that was about an inch long. I stuck three plugs in it and used fix-o-flat and rode it for two months before replacing.......LOL

Old 04-26-2011, 03:38 PM
Pro Rider

i'm running the factory tires on my 03 trailblazer. But I know both the previous owners and it never sat for more than maybe a couple weeks at a time. Mine have some of those cracks that you're talking about and pretty descent tread left and I haven't given them any thought really about blowing out other than the rooted trails I usual ride puncturing one. If you don't feel like you can trust 'em and don't have the extra $$ laying around for a new set, I'd do like tahoe said and get a plug kit maybe with an inflation tool or a can of fix-a-flat and see where they take ya. I would recommend for everyone to have some way to plug/patch a tire and fill it back up if you ride anywhere besides in the yard You can pick up a whole kit with tools, plugs, patches, pump(Co2 with hand backup), and whatever else in it for under $50... just my

Old 04-26-2011, 05:38 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

depends on how deep the rot is but i would say run them. imo

Old 04-26-2011, 07:34 PM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'

Run them. The Goodyears that came on them that year were quality tires.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:42 PM
Pro Rider

id run it ive seen people running 15 year old tires dry rooted and have no problem my tires on my 2003 outlander are starting to get pretty bad dry root but i just pound the crap out of them and dont worry about a flat if it happend im just getting new tires my front ones are almost like drag slicks but they still get me through the worst of mud holes

Old 05-02-2011, 08:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

I bought a 2002 last year with the original Goodyear Rawhides on it. about 50% tread. But when I wnet on a four day ride, they started to develope quite a number of pinhole leaks. Luckily I had two cans of fix a flat, but that only worked for a day. I spent the next day stopping every hour or so to air up the tires. If you are planning on any long rides out in the middle of nowhere I'd suggest getting some new tires. Just my opinion

Old 05-03-2011, 04:13 AM
Trailblazer

Im still running on the stock 1996 scrambler tires, and the stock 1998 trailblazer tires. ( Well scrammy is in pieces right now) I would run them as long as they don't have real bad rot. A flat tire would suck if your a ways out.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:59 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went ahead and replaced them with 26" mudlites...now..what is a good pressure for these....I got the SS108 black wheels....nice combo...I will post pics soon..

What do others run in these tires...the 5psi front 3-4 psi in rears seems a bit soft for these tires.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:12 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i ran 5 psi pn the ones i used to have.

Quick Reply: Are 2001 tires too old to trust?