Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Front Differential

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 06:36 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Differential

With help, I have determined that I need to replace the bearings in my front differential on my 2006 500. I am going to attempt this myself. I am no professional but I can handle more then the typical maintenance. What kind of task am I looking at here and does anyone have any tricks that might make this go a little smoother? Any tools beyond the normal stuff you find in a tool box that I might need?

ANY information would be appreciated...

Old 04-13-2011, 07:37 PM
Pro Rider

knock roll pin out of front drive line, move drive line out of the way unbolt front diff from under neath and remove, split diff case, inspect diff, might need a bearing puller, cant remember its been awhile

Old 04-14-2011, 06:23 AM
Trailblazer

So I am going to need to remove the entire differential? I kinda figured I would have to. Any idea what a bearing puller runs or if I could make due with something else?

Old 04-14-2011, 06:57 AM
Pro Rider

much easier to remove diff to work on it, it would be a pain in the frame, can buy bearing puller set at harbor freight , reasonable, not the best quality but they will work

Old 04-14-2011, 09:20 AM
Trailblazer

If I am only replacing the output bearings, do I still need the puller. I have been under the impression that they are exterior to the differential casing?

Old 04-14-2011, 09:49 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I did a wheel bearing, I just brought the hub to a local garage and they pop it out for free even offered to put the new bearing in for free if I brought it along. Its so fast and simple (2 min) that even if they charged you it may cost $10.
No apointment, they just stopped what they were doing and pop the bearing out.

Thats strange a diff bearing wearing out, not a common problem like a wheel bearing. People tear the front diff apart to replace the plastic roller cage mostly.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:57 AM
Trailblazer

Was this a car or atv garage? I have found that most car garages will do these kinds of things for you cause they want your business for other jobs, but the atv garages around me will charge you for everything they can.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:13 AM
Pro Rider

I'm looking at my 2008 Polaris Manual on front gearcase centralized hilliard exploded view . It shows a breakdown of all the parts involved and a written list of the parts . It only shows and lists one bearing in the front hilliard and that one bearing is on the pinion gear , am I missing something are there others that my book don't show .

Old 04-14-2011, 10:17 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Originally Posted by maverick11
Was this a car or atv garage? I have found that most car garages will do these kinds of things for you cause they want your business for other jobs, but the atv garages around me will charge you for everything they can.
It was a car garage, a seated bearing is a seated bearing to them, they do not care what it comes out of or goes into, its the same procedure.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:44 AM
Pro Rider

Quick Reply: Front Differential