Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

On the verge of giving up on my Polaris...

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 12:16 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy On the verge of giving up on my Polaris...

Gentlemen/ladies:

I am new to this site so please bear with me... Last fall I purchased a 2007 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI. It ran great for about a month or two and when I went to start it up after the winter, I get a clicking noise... Okay, starter seems to be gone, I looked up different forums and this seems to be a common problem. I tried to pull start it, it would start and then die just like that. I pulled apart the parts of the bike I knew I could put back together and found that the grommet attached to the air sensor was worn right through... I ordered a new Grommet, put it on today and guess what? She started... It idled for about 2 minutes then quit, as if it wasnt getting enough gas. I started it again... same thing. The gas is newer, the air filter is clean, the grommet was replaced properly... Im feeling a little discouraged and could use ANYONES suggestions!!! PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-30-2011, 12:21 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am assuming you checked the battery first?

Old 04-30-2011, 12:23 AM
Weekend Warrior

Battery is in perfect shape... Its at the required level according to the manual

Old 04-30-2011, 01:18 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, had to ask since you said the first thing you did was went to the starter. When you say the levels are perfect, what do you mean? Are talking about the acid levels?

Did you do a load test on the battery? It it possible that the battery be at 12v and be full, but have a bad cell and it it would not be able to turn over the engine. You can take it to pretty much any auto parts store and they can test it for you, usually at no cost.

I am not trying to point at the battery, it is just the easiest thing to check first, especially after sitting over a winter.

Old 04-30-2011, 09:11 AM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

Have you ever replaced the fuel filter? Sounds like maybe the filter is restricted allowing the bike to run for a short time until it runs out of fuel on the outlet side. After a short time the fuel seeps through allowing it to start again. Just a thought.

Old 04-30-2011, 09:13 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 35Nelson37
Gentlemen/ladies:

I am new to this site so please bear with me... Last fall I purchased a 2007 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI. It ran great for about a month or two and when I went to start it up after the winter, I get a clicking noise... Okay, starter seems to be gone, I looked up different forums and this seems to be a common problem. I tried to pull start it, it would start and then die just like that. I pulled apart the parts of the bike I knew I could put back together and found that the grommet attached to the air sensor was worn right through... I ordered a new Grommet, put it on today and guess what? She started... It idled for about 2 minutes then quit, as if it wasnt getting enough gas. I started it again... same thing. The gas is newer, the air filter is clean, the grommet was replaced properly... Im feeling a little discouraged and could use ANYONES suggestions!!! PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!
Grommets were subject to wear on 500 efi machines,but grommet replacement shouldn't have caused dying problem. Check small sensor wires for damage,chaffing,cut or broken wires. There is a major post on this at top of Polaris section on efi sensors,repair kits,etc. This could be your problem if battery,fuel,etc is ok!. OPT

Old 04-30-2011, 09:23 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by 35Nelson37
Gentlemen/ladies:

I am new to this site so please bear with me... Last fall I purchased a 2007 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI. It ran great for about a month or two and when I went to start it up after the winter, I get a clicking noise... Okay, starter seems to be gone, I looked up different forums and this seems to be a common problem. I tried to pull start it, it would start and then die just like that. :
Sat all winter, clicking noise. Sure sounds like your battery. EFI needs a good strong battery, one that's properly charged and maintained.

Don't overlook the simple things...have your battery tested/fully charged I bet she runs!

Wenty

Old 04-30-2011, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

If you give is some throttle and it runs while you have it under throttle it could be the throttle cable adjustment. If there is not a space of around 1/16" or more between the contacts in the housing on the handlebar it will stall at idle. I'm also thinking it's more likely the battery.

Old 04-30-2011, 09:59 AM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
If you give is some throttle and it runs while you have it under throttle it could be the throttle cable adjustment. If there is not a space of around 1/16" or more between the contacts in the housing on the handlebar it will stall at idle. I'm also thinking it's more likely the battery.
another good possibility. YouTube - Polaris ATV Maintenance & Repair Tips : Polaris ATV Thumb Throttle Maintenance Tips

Old 04-30-2011, 11:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hmm, All this stuff seems to sound promising... I will work on it today and let you know how I make out, Thanks Alot for the Replies! I appreciate all the help!

Quick Reply: On the verge of giving up on my Polaris...