Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2007 Polaris 330 carb problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 12:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Polaris 330 carb problem

I have noticed that when i start my 4 wheeler that i have to put it on full choke in hot or cold weather.After letting it run for a few minutes i begin pushing in the choke and the motor begins to stall.Now when i start it i have to leave the choke 2/3 out and keep it reved then engage it into forward.I know this is not good for the motor or tranny so i need some ideas where to start.Thanks.

Old 05-08-2011, 01:20 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by h20rrl
I have noticed that when i start my 4 wheeler that i have to put it on full choke in hot or cold weather.After letting it run for a few minutes i begin pushing in the choke and the motor begins to stall.Now when i start it i have to leave the choke 2/3 out and keep it reved then engage it into forward.I know this is not good for the motor or tranny so i need some ideas where to start.Thanks.
May be that carb needs cleaning if having to keep choke on,usually sign of carb jets stopping up,needle valve problem or just plain varnish build up or trash. 325 and 330 carbs are set very LEAN from factory anyway! If I owned one since I worked on quite a few and know that they are COLD natured anyway,I would clean the carb and jets,replace the needle valve if needed and under the carb is the fuel air screw block off cap that I would remove and adjust from a LIGHTLY closed position out to 2 turns! I've have had some 325 and 330 machines with fuel/air screw only about a 1/2 turn out! You will notice a big difference on warm up! PLUS with the ethanol gas now I would run Marine STABIL,I have used other gas preservatives and cleaners,but this about as good as it gets on water removal from ethanol OPT

Old 05-09-2011, 11:06 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ok i do not see any screws on the carb to adjust except for the idle screw at the bottom of carb.There is a cap on the side of the carb that i popped off and there is a c clip holding onto a threaded bolt (it looks like).I did not pull off the c clip and check it out yet i wanted to ask you if this is the richen screw.Also when i start the engine and apply choke the engine spits a little and backfires a little.If i get it richened will this go away?Thanks for all your help.

Old 05-09-2011, 05:14 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by h20rrl
Ok i do not see any screws on the carb to adjust except for the idle screw at the bottom of carb.There is a cap on the side of the carb that i popped off and there is a c clip holding onto a threaded bolt (it looks like).I did not pull off the c clip and check it out yet i wanted to ask you if this is the richen screw.Also when i start the engine and apply choke the engine spits a little and backfires a little.If i get it richened will this go away?Thanks for all your help.
FIRST OFF have you cleaned the carb jets(just remove the float bowl screws and its the small pilot jet,blow out with air gun if you have it or make sure you can see through the jets.re assemble float bowl The fuel/air screw is under the bottom of carb towards the front of carb just past the fuel bowl! There will be a small round plug. take a small drill bit (about 1/8" is ok) drill SLOWLY as when the bit goes through the plug you can damage the head of the adjuster screw! Pull drill bit out,use a sheet metal or drywall screw and start in the small hole just enough where you can wiggle and pull the plug out! CHECK how many turns CLOCKWISE it takes until adjuster LIGHTLY bottoms out. Some are less than a full turn! Turn out(counter clockwise two (2) turns and re install carb. Should be better on starting and should warm up quicker with less choke. Any problems,just ask. OPT

Old 05-09-2011, 05:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you very much