Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Need advice Sportsman 800 Owners..

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 08:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice Sportsman 800 Owners..

I am looking to purchase a 2007 Sportsman 800 with 1571 miles on it and about 200 hrs.

Here is a list of thing on the quad:

27" Swamp Fox Plus on 12" ITP 108 SS Black Alloys ( 90% tread), Heel Clicker Clutch Kit (professionally installed), New Polaris Front Differential, 3-Way Head Light Converter, Front & Rear Heavy Duty Lift Springs ( approx. 15" ground clearance), Side Rock Crawler Tubes,
3000lbs Gorilla Winch w/Amsteel Synthetic Rope, monster hook, Black Matte Front & Rear Bumpers, Lock & Ride Box w/ Seat Rest & Saddle Bags, Custom Stereo Tube with 6.5 waterproof speakers with a 300 watt amp hard wired, 4.5 gal Fuel Pak mounted to the rear, Battery Tender System per installed

The price is $4000....is this a good deal? The bike is being sold because the guys kids are getting too old to ride behind him and he is looking at a Polaris RZR or a touring with power steering...

SHOULD I BUY??

Old 05-10-2011, 08:52 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like a good deal. Just be sure and check the motor mounts out. That is a weak point on the 800's. If they are broken then the machine have probably been rode hard and put up wet. Just saying

Old 05-10-2011, 09:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok..can you explain to me what you mean exactly?

Thanks for your input I really appreciate it!

Old 05-11-2011, 05:42 AM
Pro Rider

Sure, what I am saying is look at the machine close. When you find a machine with over sized tires and extras, you want to look at it close. One of the weak points on the 800's is the motor mounts, if it has been abused and rode really hard the front motor mounts are usually broke loose. Just something to look at. Hope the info helps

Old 05-11-2011, 07:05 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like a good (fair) deal- it's pretty modified, I'd be concerned how it was ridden?
I'm always skeptical when someone says " professionally installed" - ask who installed the clutch kit, call the shop and see if it's in their system- should be an easy, quick call...

Old 05-11-2011, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

X3 on being concerned with a machine with that many after market products. It sounds like he (obviously) had it set up for mudding. Friend had lift kit that used to chew up CV boots and joints. Way more wear than a stock quad. Just a random thought.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:40 AM
Weekend Warrior
Question

Ok thanks for all the input. I will ask if he has ridden through mud alot. Anything else I should look for?

All in all would you say this is a good deal or should I hold off for something else...

Old 05-11-2011, 04:31 PM
Pro Rider

You could look at it like do you need a quad with all those aftermarket up-grades , will the places your be riding require a modified machine . Do you need the extra hp and the added fuel cost's of the 800 . I ask because not much more than the $4000 and you can buy a new 2011 500 carb with warranty .

Old 05-11-2011, 05:09 PM
Trailblazer

They dont have to be rode to hard to bust the stock motor mounts. I just did a few wheelies and mine was busted. Check out the machine really good before buying it like you would check anything out you're going to be spending that much money on.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:05 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by HaydenS
They dont have to be rode to hard to bust the stock motor mounts. I just did a few wheelies and mine was busted. Check out the machine really good before buying it like you would check anything out you're going to be spending that much money on.
about the engine mounts. just look at the radaitor real good and if he has doen alot of mudding(guessing he has) then it will be partly plugged w/ mud. these normally run hot and if the rad. is partly plugged then it runs even hotter. not too bad of a price. just look at the under carriage and see if it's all bent and dinged up is another way to tell if been ran through the rough stuff. ask about maitance and oil changes and other fluids to know if he has taken care of it. good luck .

Quick Reply: Need advice Sportsman 800 Owners..