Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Would You Recommend A Polaris ATV

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 12:43 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by maker102
Hi I really would appreciate input from Polaris ATV Owner's only. I am in a wheelchair and have excluded Polaris from my ATV search based on negative comments on many different websites. Everything from fires to electrical problems were noted. It really appears that Polaris for one reason or another does not want to fix problems. Like I said I excluded Polaris right up to the point of using one with power stearing. I really like it and am currently rethinking my stance.
My question is Knowing the person can only do limited mainteanance, would you still recommend Polaris? Has Polaris turned around to the point they are addressing their problems?
Thanks in advance for your thoughts and ideas.
We had a customer around 2002-2003 that we modified the brake control over to the right side of a Sportsman 500 because of his left hand being crushed in an accident and was basically useless even though he still had the arm and hand. We were a little worried about doing this,but he managed the machine pretty good and kept it until he bought our first EPS Ranger that came off the truck! He eventually had the arm amputated but before I retired he occasionally came in and was happy as a lark with the Ranger and still used it often on his ranch. OPT

Old 05-12-2011, 06:55 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Wenty
I don't believe Polaris makes the tough ATV's they used to. IMHO, they are over engineered. Many rip the other companies for not coming out with "new" stuff like Polaris. Problem is...all this new stuff and new engineering has it's problems, always takes time to work out the bugs, and some of these "bugs" are pretty big. Been alot of unhappy new polaris owners roaming the forums. I agree, we usually read the bad and not the good...but it seems alot of bad compared to other makes. 2 personal friends that are sick about there Polaris 850 XP choice right now...both motor problems.

On a different note...I'm not even sure they make these anymore?? The john deer buck with the open platform...I'm not pushing "john deer". Just curious if any of the manufacturers still make this style platform? Seems like it would be pretty helpful for someone in a chair, not having to lift/swing your legs over the seat/tank to get on/off. Something to consider...basically a function over "style" thing.

Choose what you feel is right for you...good luck!

Wenty
I think the original John Deere Buck was a rebadged Can-Am Traxter. I'm not sure if they still make it for JD. I don't think so. I know they don't make it on the Can-Am side of things. It would be a good solution for people with mobility problems.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:35 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like my 2001, I ride with much newer ATVs of other makes and don,t notice any advantage they have.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 2011 Ranger Crew and I would strongly recommend it. Lots of power (once throttle body spacer is removed) smooth ride and goes ANYWHERE despite it's long length and wide width. I am not a flat trail dry ground easy go rider either, i beat the h****l out of it and it runs like a champ, so far only issue i had was broke the rear sway bar mount, possibly from a roll trying to do dounuts in the dark when i was somewhere i've never been before. Although I have nothing to compare it to i still stand by polaris rangers (utv) to be by wayyyyyy far top of the line!

Old 05-12-2011, 11:58 AM
Weekend Warrior

Although the videos aren't that good check out my youtube videos just look up chevyguy8301.

Old 05-12-2011, 01:34 PM
Trailblazer

Polaris sells military ATVs and UTVs so I would look at the civilian versions of these models for a more troublefree solution.

I went with Polaris because they were the most stable and solid built ATV out there. Had a few problems, but all in all it wasn't too big of a learning curve.

Sometimes I feel like Wile E Coyote with a new ACME invention that backfired on me.
Other times I smile like Garfield when he tricks Odie when it goes far and beyond expectations.

The Garfields far outweigh the Wile E Coyotes. Both are great fun in hindsight !!

Old 05-12-2011, 09:03 PM
Pro Rider
Talking

Originally Posted by chriscolle

Sometimes I feel like Wile E Coyote with a new ACME invention that backfired on me.
Other times I smile like Garfield when he tricks Odie when it goes far and beyond expectations.

The Garfields far outweigh the Wile E Coyotes. Both are great fun in hindsight !!
I give this comment Two Thumbs UP !!! I love the creative description.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider

Didn't read prior posting. If your looking for a utility polaris would be your best choice. Not to mention there made in the u.s. If your looking toward a sport quad look more toward yamaha, honda etc. Can am makes great utilitys also check out the grizzly 700!

Old 05-17-2011, 11:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ride a 550EPS and see what you think. For you, the service department will be extremely important. I'd get another Polaris in a heartbeat. I have an 01 500HO that has never seen a repair shop, even with 4,400 miles. I also have a 2011 Touring 850EPS that is incredible! I had an 06 Outlander that I sold due to reliability problems. I understand that Hondas are bulletproof, but they can't compete with the comfort of a Sportsman XP. I believe the Polaris EPS is the best on the market as is the transmission. As a 63 year old, I can outlast riders much younger, and with no fatigue at the end of a day. Best wishes on your decision and I hope this helps.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:27 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 420Pimp
Not to mention there (they're) made in the u.s.

hmmm, did the USA invade Mexico? I was not aware Mexico was part of the US.

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/dis.../polaris-folo/

75% of the things you own were made in another country- Even things stamped "USA" will have things in it, made from other countries.

Originally Posted by Dbez1
the service department will be extremely important. I have an 01 500HO that has never seen a repair shop, even with 4,400 miles. I also have a 2011 Touring 850EPS that is incredible! I had an 06 Outlander that I sold due to reliability problems.
I just picked up a "dealer used" 09 850xp with 200 miles on it 4 days ago. Dealer used it for show's / demo's and small tasks around the yard. I just got back from the dealer yesterday- it needed 2 new rear cv's and rear upper a-arm bushings- which were shot-
They did the right thing by me and gave me the new parts within 2 days- but I can't get over how a "never seen a trail" atv with 200 miles on it could need 2 cv's & bushings.

That being said- I do really like the bike and hope this was just one of those strange things that no one can explain...

I would recommend a polaris- besides the issues I had above- I feel they make a good quality atv

Quick Reply: Would You Recommend A Polaris ATV