Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Best year Polaris for the money?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 09:13 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best year Polaris for the money?

I just sold my 02 500 HO for $2500, and am now looking for another Polaris to get. I remember OPT saying a while back that my year had known problems, so I didn't want to pass on trying to upgrade mine to one that was a little more stable. I really liked mine for duck hunting and chores around the house, but would get frustrated when the steering (4wd) would bind to one side. I've ridden/owned others the same year or older than mine and all seem to do this from time to time. What years are known to have worked through some of these problems that I could get in the $2500 range?

Old 06-15-2011, 10:50 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

2001 and 2002 had the most problems on clutch creeping,(seemed like i was always working on them! and almost ALL hub activated awd systems would have seals go out and eventually had armature plate magnetizing in the hubs and pulling to one side or the other but other than that they were good machines. If you had fairly good luck with your 500 then why not a later model say a 2005 to 2007 with a centralized awd?? If more power is what your after go after the 800 or even the 850 they both have the centralized awd system.. The major problem with the early centralized systems were the plastic roll cages that would break,aluminum replacements are available if this happens. OPT

Old 06-15-2011, 05:07 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i thought my 02 500 was a god bike. imo

Old 06-15-2011, 05:34 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

01 and 02 WERE great machines,but as they got a little older they were the most that came in for creeping problems with the clutches. I even talked to another old local Polaris tech and he agreed on this also.I even called Polaris to see if I was missing something,and they even had received several inquires on this problem,BUT couldn't offer any suggestions that I hadn't already tried! I just kept on shimming clutches for the most part,rechecking clutches,motor mounts,etc. Even the front and rear clutch stayed the same until 05 when the rear clutch changed and I didn't have many problems after that on creeping. Could have been the driven clutch?? OPT

Old 06-16-2011, 12:53 AM
Pro Rider

"Best year Polaris for the money?"

You just sold it...imho.

Jump to a newer machine and they have their own set of "issues" to look out and watch for. That can be said for the newest machines out as well. Difference is...the newer stuff costs more, not only to buy, but parts...be it used new or used are more expensive.

I look at the new machines my buds/family have purchased...issues. Seems like the newer, the more problems$$ I look at the era polaris you sold and the guys I know that run them...rock solid and if they do have a issue...EASY repair.

"For the money"...can't beat the machine you just sold! IMHO

Wenty

Old 06-16-2011, 07:07 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

A few thing I do not like about the newer 500s over the older, the plastic oil tank vs a alloy oil tank. smaller gas tank 4.1 gallon vs 5.25. having a ECM brain box vs none to worry about. My friends 2011 Sportsman has the cheapest weakest looking racks I have ever seen also a much weaker front bumper bushguard, a aftermarket front bushguard is a must on the new ones. The stock 489 tires are not as good the 3 ply Goodyear P Trackers Polaris once offered from stock.

The newer ones just seem to say 'Cost Savings" to me. A new 2001 cost $1000 more back then than a new 2011 does now. http://www.atvreviewnetwork.com/enth...le2=2172&go=Go

My AWD has worked great so far, I just though having two Hillary's with two metal rollor cages on the hub drive sysytem vs one Hilliary with one weaker plastic roller cage on the centralized system would be stronger, as far as I know polaris still uses plastic rollor cages, you have to go aftermarket to get the stronger metal one (John Deer I think).

The centralized Hilliary works on the same principles as the dual Hilliary's with a ARMATURE plate that may magnetize after a long while also?

Old 06-16-2011, 08:13 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by TLC
A few thing I do not like about the newer 500s over the older, the plastic oil tank vs a alloy oil tank. smaller gas tank 4.1 gallon vs 5.25. having a ECM brain box vs none to worry about. My friends 2011 Sportsman has the cheapest weakest looking racks I have ever seen also a much weaker front bumper bushguard, a aftermarket front bushguard is a must on the new ones.

The newer ones just seem to say 'Cost Savings" to me. A 2001 cost $1000 more back then than a new 2011 2011 Polaris Sportsman® 500 H.O. ATVs

My AWD has worked great so far, I just though having two Hillary's with two metal rollor cages on the hub drive sysytem vs one Hilliary with one weaker plastic roller cage on the centralized system would be stronger, as far as I know polaris still uses plastic rollor cages, you have to go aftermarket to get the stronger metal one (John Deer I think).

The centralized Hilliary works on the same principles as the dual Hilliary's with a ARMATURE plate that may magnetize after a long while also?
In some ways I agree with you on the plastic tanks and the rack systems,but not on the centralized hilliard assembly versus the out board hub system. I don't think there's a worse feeling than having the bars almost ripped out of your hands when one side locks in at high speed,I've had it happen and have had some customers that have flipped their atvs! GRANTED,most of the time a LITTLE maintenance and COMMON sense alleviates this as a problem,BUT there are a lot of people out there that lack both,maintenance and common sense! I think because of lawsuits I've heard about on this danger is one of if not the major reason they have gone with the centralized system. YES a few stupid people can ruin it for the majority of others!As far as the hiliards they have gone to the billet aluminum roll cages OR offer it as a replacement on most models now. On a different vein but along the same lines is the new law they passed in my county about discharging fire arms.There was ONE woman who complained about the noise bothering her horses and now you have to have a MINIMUM of 10 acres in an unincorporated area to shoot your rifles or hand guns! Now I can't even shoot my rifles without breaking the law on my two acres!! ONE bad apple can spoil it for the rest of us! Same as in the atv industry! OPT

Old 06-16-2011, 09:50 AM
Range Rover

As far as Hilliards go, I'm not much of a mechanic. But it seems to me that if you've got two parts, it's more likely to fail than one part.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:44 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

If the single centralized Hilliary ever kick in on its own it would also send you on a loop at higher speeds also. It would be like throwing a ATV into diff lock at high speeds which is uncontrollable also.

That why diff locks can only be engaged in low range, at least the Yamaha Grizzly I ride only engages in low range and even at 15mph its almost unsteerable.

I agree though that two has more chance to fail then one but "one" is also cheaper to manufacture then "two".

But if both are working fine I think the single will pop a nut before the twins if both systems get pushed to the extremes.

No roller cage failure posts on the old setup but endless posts of the new style not holding up it seems.

Old 06-16-2011, 02:06 PM
Trailblazer

I think I'm going back with one like the one I just sold. I ran across a 2000 Remington Edition with 22 miles 40 hours. Apparently, it sat at a grandparents house in a barn for years and the carbs got gummed up... almost forgotten about. Guy had all the fluids changed and carbs cleaned and it runs great now. He's also throwing in another 12" set of rims and tires off a newer Polaris that someone gave him that he won't have any use for. He doesnt know what he has nor does he know much about the Polarises. I spent a lot of time running through it and looking underneith and I actually believe the hours are accurate. Need to do a little work on the rack and bumper from a previous yard mishap way back when... other than that I think I'll be good. Thanks for everyone's opinions and I'll let you know how it turns out.

Oh and I thought mine shifted and was smooth... I've never driven one like this, I guess it's was sold people on them 10+ years ago.

Quick Reply: Best year Polaris for the money?