Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Clean an exhaust pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 03:19 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Clean an exhaust pipe?

Curious if there is a good way to clean an old pipe with lots of build up from years of low-speed running... on my 1989 Big Boss. I'm on borrowed time probably with OPT (So many questions lately), that if anyone else can step in with advice I would be very grateful. Wopndering if heating it up w a bit with a propane torch would burn the build up out? I have run it down the road and back several times, and in low gear at lightly higher rpm's, and it did seem to smoke some out, but I have a feeling there is a lot more where that came from.

ALSO... the way the pipe attaches to the next elbow i by means of a spring assembly... Blows exhaust out between them. Doesn't seem to be any way to align them any differently. Anyone experience that or have a solution? Take the pipes off and clean the heck out of the mating surfaces or just drop back and punt?

Thanks, Doug

Old 06-19-2011, 03:41 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Got plenty of time! You might try a radiator repair shop (if any are still around??) and see if they could "boil" it out for you. Or and old way is to plug up the tail pipe and fill exhaust with kerosene and let sit for a few days if possible. You'll be surprised how black the kerosene will be when drained. On the joints new springs will help a little on holding it a little tighter. I've tried RTV sealant (doesn't stay, will burn off) BUT the best pipe sealant I ever found that was made especially for leaking exhaust pipes was Malcolm Smith's pipe sealant(felt like sticky bubble gum and you wrapped it around one side of the pipe and squished together and as it heated, it expanded and sealed the pipe joint. Don't know where to find it any more or if its still available,but will check. OPT

Old 06-19-2011, 04:08 PM
Trailblazer
Default Thanks

Might just try the kerosene method... Interested in what you fins on the sealant. I did a quick search and not much turned up.

Took your advice on the carb... see post. NOTHING new... not even the gasket!!

Appreciate all your help. - Doug

Old 06-21-2011, 05:56 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another method to get the oily deposites from a pipe is throw it in a big bonfire and burn it out, only drawback is you will need to sandblast and repaint the pipe when done, it will be a little discolored from getting heated up, but all the gunk inside will turn to ash and fall right out afte a good burn.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:42 PM
Trailblazer
Thumbs up Another great bit of advice

Thanks for the idea. That's a LOT more efficient than my other idea, of using a torch to burn it out. The only problem is, we are in a MAJOR drought and on a burn ban. Not sure when I will be able to burn again... but that would sure do the trick. Discoloring couldn't be much worse than the ancient, rusted patina it has now! - Doug

Old 06-21-2011, 09:02 PM
Pro Rider

Man, send some of that dry my way, been blowing and raining for days, first day of summer, and we barely broke 53 degrees here in northern Minnesota, havent mowed in over a week, been so wet. Hope things straighten up for you and some of our cool wet weather makes it down to you.

Old 06-22-2011, 03:05 AM
Range Rover

First day of summers here was 90 degrees till 8pm them some wicked thunder and lighting storms that are still kinda going.... And about the post will the pipe like burn up somehow? Just wondering cus I've never seen this done.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:22 PM
Pro Rider

Nothing cleans better than forced steam. just don`t mistakenly touch yourself with it because it will melt and peal off your shin faster than you can think.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:02 AM
Pro Rider

WV, the pipe won't burn, or be damaged, its a hi temp steel made for exhausts,so its pretty durable. That steam sounds like a good idea, it should heat up and melt the crud inside, not sure how you would get into the bends and corners real good, but it would probably do a pretty good job once it got the pipe and gunk all heated up.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:15 AM
Range Rover

Hmm might have to give it a try on my dads bike