Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Recoil rope replacement tricks?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 07:48 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recoil rope replacement tricks?

The old '89 Big Boss is putting me through the paces... OPT has been patiently spoon-feeding me along with some others. Hoping to give the vets a break, but I am all ears on the next hurdle: Took off the housing thinking that was the right move. The rope seems to have hardly enough space to try and thread a rope end through.. at a 90 degree angle in tight quarters. Do I just spend some time trying to melt/shave and form the end of the rope to get it through the hole, or is there some other method? Hoping I don't have to mess with the spring. One on a go-kart just about ate one time. Deep respect for things under tension.

Oh well, if anyone can share a tip, I am gratefully looking for advice. - Doug

Old 06-21-2011, 08:08 PM
Trailblazer

One more thing... can I use the same rope? It broke right where the knot was at the reel? Does the reel come off? Probably not, that would be too easy...

Old 06-21-2011, 08:10 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

If you have a new replacement rope with the handle made into it OR reusing the old rope assembly,just melt the rope end and use a rag(will be hot and will stick to bare fingers,I found that out early) and pull until it has a small point and you can even enlarge the hole in the plastic reel just a "little bit" if necessary .Feed the end through the cover first,then into the reel,then tie a knot,wrap the rope all the way around the reel(clockwise if I remember correctly) until rope handle bottoms out on the cover.Lower the cover over the reel and and turn clockwise(again I think) while cover is against main housing.Turn until you feel the inner spring winding up and then align the recoil in the correct position where it lines up with the 4 bolts and replace them. The recoil rope should then be able pull out and back in. ALL depends if inner spring is still ok and ALSO if I "remember" correctly on my instructions! It's been a while since I replaced a rope on the old 250 engines! Keep me updated as I'm NOT 100 percent sure! OPT

Old 06-21-2011, 08:25 PM
Trailblazer
Smile You're tireless...

Tip my hat yet again. I have looked a bit at the clymer manual, seems clockwise is correct. Melting and being able to maybe slightly enlarge the hole are the tricks I was after! I'll try without enlarging the hole first. If I only cut off a couple inches, I should still be able to use the old rope? I'll order one or go into town if there is one there, but obviously don't want to throw money away and waste time if it will still work. Sure appreciate your input.

Hey, how much shop time is required to replace the electric starter? Might be worth considering.... Otherwise I have to by the puller and the clutch holding tool and I guess try like heck to mark the alignment on the pully, spider and other pieces. Gracias! - Doug

Old 06-21-2011, 08:39 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

On the starter since I had a lift I did it almost by the book! Mainly because of my old wore out hands and trying to fight out the far back starter bracket bolt was a B*****************H!! I just removed the clutches and the bracket just stares you in the face! Others will tell you how they do it,and their way may be easier for you If you have good hands and fingers! Plus don't forget the two bolts in the engine case holding the starter and grease the starter bendix. I can still type and NOT hurt though! LOL Good luck OPT PS if you just want to pull the clutch all you need is the puller and not the holder!.