Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Need help/advice with rearend

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 02:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Need help/advice with rearend

Hey, guys. I have been fighting a front end shake that would nearly knock your elbows off. I had found a bad bushing that caused a little bit of play in the handle bars and changed it. However, I still had the shake, so I put all fours off the ground and when I put it in drive and get the wheels up to speed the rearend shakes and makes a horrible knocking sound. Any advice on where to start or what this may be? Also, I have a problem with the front wheels spinning when it is not in 4x4 but that is something that i will deal with once it is fixed with the rear end. I really appreciate the help. I am by no means a mechanic, although my dad was, so I have been around but he is dead now. I am only a school teacher trying to save some cash and fix it myself-which I enjoy. Thanks. Any help would be appreciated!!!!

Old 06-22-2011, 02:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By the way, it is a 200 335 4x4 Polaris Sportsman.

Old 06-22-2011, 03:34 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

I would go after the u-joints (cross kits) in the rear drive shafts first(ONE of the THREE models of the 335 Sportsman does have cv joints instead of u-joints,if so still could be the problem area?).Check for slack on the drive shafts as you turn them back and forth. These are probably the source of the vibration and clacking noise.Probably need new kits. If this is the problem,I would do all four as just doing the worst one just causes the others to wear out faster. As far as the front awd kicking in while in two wheel mode,I would change the front hub fluid first(use Polaris Demand Drive Plus hub fluid only) and see if it helps.If it still does it then probably the armature plates in the hubs are magnetized(sticking) and need to be replaced along with a good cleaning of the bearings and hilliards. I would invest in a manual if you are doing the work yourself,WELL WORTH the cost and will pay for itself on the first job. Keep us updated! Good luck OPT