Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

1993 trail boss 2x4 250

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 08:37 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i might have yours

dont think my compression tester works,i attached it but the guage doesnt even flicker.
bloomin heck

Old 07-22-2011, 06:36 PM
Pro Rider

I remember that in 03 they had the Trail Boss 250 and the 250 2X4. The 2X4 was different from the Trail Boss because it had the high and low trans. The TB only had high. Also If I remember corrrectly the 2X4 also had a front rack where the TB did not.

Old 08-03-2011, 03:13 PM
Trailblazer

i know mine is a 2x4 as it has the sticker.
it does have front and rear racks that are rusted on.bloomin every single nut,bolt and screw is rusted its a right pain.
i have not looked at it for a few weeks cos i been busy.
the compression tester i dont think works that i bought so i still have not tested this.
i am thinking i may move onto the ignition side first this time to get a good spark going and see what happens.
i dont care if i need to replace everything i will get this thing working.

Old 08-23-2011, 01:05 PM
Trailblazer

finally gotten around to looking at this again but finding it real hard.
i now have a multi-meter but i dont understand it much.
after looking in thehaynes manual my starter motor might be ok with new brushes but i am struggling to check the coils.
tha manual says to connect the multi-meter to each terminal positive to one then negative to each other so after a good few checks i think i get a pass on the brown/white and red/red wires but the white wire reads nothing.
it also says there should be no continuity between the wires and an earth. i guess this means no current should run through again there was no current on two wires but the white one there was.

so would this indicate a fault with whatever the white wire goes to?
it does not clearly say in the book which wire goes to what but possibly the white is the pulsar coil,is this right does anyone know and would this cause the quad not to start?

Old 08-23-2011, 03:17 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

I think the white and white/red wires are the pulse (trigger coil) and if you don't have a reading could have a broken wire or short at the pulse coil. Just pull the recoil housing and you can see the pulse coil outside of the flywheel and the two wires. OPT

Old 08-25-2011, 05:01 AM
Trailblazer

i removed the pullstart and housing but cant see anything apart from the flywheel thing.the haynes says i must remove this,didnt wanna do that.

it has a bolt in the middle and some smaller one around a kind of half cup thing.
do i need to remove all this before trying to get flywheel off and is there any easy way to get it off??

Old 08-25-2011, 08:36 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

SORRY I forgot your pulse (exciter ) coil is behind the flywheel,not on the outside! Remove the starter pulley cup on the flywheel and use a steering wheel puller with either 6mm Or 8mm long bolts are needed to pull the flywheel off to get to the stator and pulse coil. OPT

Old 08-25-2011, 05:54 PM
Trailblazer

i dont have a puller but adapted another tool to work the same.
screwed in three bolts but after turning the puller bolt a large amount i became afraid i bould pull threads from the 3 bolts so stopped.
i tried screwing the tool in on the flywheel centre to pull the flywheel then hit the tool in centre to try and release the flywheel but it still wont budge..
whats the trick?????

Old 08-25-2011, 06:00 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Heat around the flywheel area center with a torch,then tap bolt with a hammer to try to pop it loose. May have to let it sit under pressure for a while,then go back and heat again. Will eventually pop off. OPT

Old 08-27-2011, 10:39 AM
Trailblazer

been under pressure for two days,heated,tapped,heated tapped left,tapped,heated lost temper hit and broke the puller.

bloomin fool and the flywheel is still stuck solid

Quick Reply: 1993 trail boss 2x4 250