Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2006 polaris sportmans 450

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011 | 10:36 AM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default 2006 polaris sportmans 450

the other day i was surprise, by the police, to see my stolen atv back. they ripped out the ignition, nothing but bear wires now. i tried to jump the silonoid to see if it would work. turns over a few seconds, then it is dead. after awhile, did the same thing again, and dead again. what could be wrong? i know i need a ignition switch, and the plug the bear wires. any thing you can help me with?

Old 07-19-2011 | 10:46 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Welcome to the forum! Get the switch first! Then work your way through any problems! Process of elimination on this sort of thing. OPT

Old 07-19-2011 | 11:14 AM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default 2006 polaris sportmans 450

i can get the ignition switch for 50.00. but there are 6 wires showing, no plug on the end. i do not know where each wire goes. thanks

Old 07-19-2011 | 11:27 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Polaris doesn't offer connector ends for the switch!! I've gone through this myself on stolen machines. I'm sure there are places that can,but in a shop they will replace the harness as they don't have time to trace down connectors. I did and most shops will!! Possibly other members can direct you to companies that may provide the right connector. Main harness is over $200 OPT

Old 07-19-2011 | 05:26 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

be mice if you could find a junked/wrecked bike and be able to either take the harness out or at least cut the switch harness and w/ a switch would be even better. it takes more then 2 wires together to make it start and run so a switch would be the easiest place to start to find the issues.

Old 08-05-2011 | 04:04 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

i have installed the harness, and key. a new starter, a new starter silenoid. now i am having problems with the carburator and cooling fan. it runs great for about 20 miles per hour, give it more throttle, it stalls. the fan, doesn't run. check the connection from the harness, it say 12. some what volts., but no fan. i take the fan to the battery, it runs great. can you tell me any thing about this? thanks

Old 08-05-2011 | 04:39 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If you still have the BLACK finned ecm module(under the front cover) this could be the problem with the fan not working?? Should have been change to a SILVER module! Ecm controls fan operation and charging back to the battery as its main operation.Plus check with 12 volts direct to fan, it can be bad! Plus carb could be in need of cleaning,especially since it was stolen and probably has been sitting a while. OPT

Old 08-06-2011 | 06:38 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

Originally Posted by coffeeman14213
i have installed the harness, and key. a new starter, a new starter silenoid. now i am having problems with the carburator and cooling fan. it runs great for about 20 miles per hour, give it more throttle, it stalls. the fan, doesn't run. check the connection from the harness, it say 12. some what volts., but no fan. i take the fan to the battery, it runs great. can you tell me any thing about this? thanks
have a dealer run the vin# to see if the ecm recall was done. they had alot of issues that differnt things form the bad ecms.

Old 08-06-2011 | 09:03 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

i have the black fin ecm. i also read in clymers book, it has something to do with the fual control, do you think this is the carburator problem? also, the water temp. sensor on the left side of the engine, i disconnected the wires, as the book shows, put an jumper on it to see if the fan would work, nothing..... any ideals???

Old 08-06-2011 | 09:46 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by coffeeman14213
i have the black fin ecm. i also read in clymers book, it has something to do with the fual control, do you think this is the carburator problem? also, the water temp. sensor on the left side of the engine, i disconnected the wires, as the book shows, put an jumper on it to see if the fan would work, nothing..... any ideals???
The ecm needs to be replaced first!! This is a safety bulletin! It wont have any thing to do with the carburetor!! It does have a dual function: power to fan and charging,BUT can screw up a lot of things! Just hook up 12 volts direct to fan motor to eliminate this as a problem(if the fan works replace the ecm!),the carb as I mentioned will probably need to be looked into and cleaned. CALL your dealer about the ecm! OPT

Quick Reply: 2006 polaris sportmans 450