Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris sportsman 700twin 2003

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 07:10 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

If you have to just cut the old wiring,it's junk anyway and route the harness up along the frame tube and secure after all the connections are made. Attach the ground wire to the small plate cover the wiring to the pulse coil. Pulling the flywheel doesn't affect timing,it's keyed to the shaft for timing,the new one is the same. Mount the new stator like the pics show.

Old 05-04-2013, 07:42 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

new stator has ground wire connectors on both ends1 stator boot that I attached to the back of stator mounting bolt and one that connects up underneath headlight.old stater just had ground wire connecter under headlight. it was pre connected at stator.I will be back in garage in 30 minutes to look at this again

Old 05-04-2013, 04:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default On the road again!!

Back on the road again!! For my model I had to use 2 jumper harness wires as shown in picture in step 15. I had to dig into the above wire loom to find the red wire male connector which instructions failed to mention. Also, there is a replacement regulator kit for the the replacement regulator which had additional instructions. I had to actually cut on the nose of the front plactic to install it. Great project!
It looks like I'm going to have to do some work on the front axles. They seem a li loose. Plus 1 front and 1 rear outside boot. I may need advice when I get there.
Thanks, Old Polaris
Croc

Old 05-04-2013, 05:09 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by crocidiledowdee
Back on the road again!! For my model I had to use 2 jumper harness wires as shown in picture in step 15. I had to dig into the above wire loom to find the red wire male connector which instructions failed to mention. Also, there is a replacement regulator kit for the the replacement regulator which had additional instructions. I had to actually cut on the nose of the front plactic to install it. Great project!
It looks like I'm going to have to do some work on the front axles. They seem a li loose. Plus 1 front and 1 rear outside boot. I may need advice when I get there.
Thanks, Old Polaris
Croc
Now hopefully no more electrical problems. The red wire does fool some people as you have to dig for this one that's tucked up into the harness.Instructions are a little vague on this one! Good luck!

Old 05-04-2013, 05:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Brain fart!

Hey Old Polaris, I was looking back at posts and where you mentioned to connect ground wire to small plate covering the wiring to the pulse coil. I completely brain farted and left the ground connected to the nearest stator bolt. Will this be ok?

Thanks

Old 05-04-2013, 05:41 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

As long as it's grounded to the engine and clears the flywheel that's good enough.If in doubt move the ground wire underneath the pulse wire cover plate bolt. Item #1.http://www.cyclepartswarehouse.com/f...2003&fveh=5618

Old 05-04-2013, 05:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

Okydoke. Have a great weekend, oh ya your retired, your weekend never ends!

Old 05-04-2013, 11:44 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by crocidiledowdee
Okydoke. Have a great weekend, oh ya your retired, your weekend never ends!
Oh no,not a constant weekend. I have 5 days that I do what I want to do, which a lot of times is nothing,THEN comes the weekend. Time for really goofing off

Old 05-05-2013, 10:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Ignition system

Just wondering what ignition systems are in a o6 sportsman and 08 sportsman. Were there alot of problems with these year of machines.

Old 05-06-2013, 02:06 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

There's a mix of different electrical components on the later models. Kokusan ignition systems along with Bosch ecu modules on efi machine. Later carb model had some problems on the pdm modules that controlled charging ,the fan and power to the coil.They could short out.Efi systems had their own problems with the small sensor wiring and connectors.

Quick Reply: Polaris sportsman 700twin 2003