Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 07:26 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris Overheating

Hello all,

I just recently got a 2003 Polaris Scrambler 500. I have ridden it on my road for a couple of hours off and on over the last few months. The guy I got it from told me it needed coolant and he gave me a bottle of coolant. This weekend I rode it a bit with my kids and the temperature light came on. This was after maybe 20 minutes of riding. I took it out the next day and the light came on again. Is it possible he gave me the wrong coolant and now I have to drain it out? Being at work and not real good with the mechanics of these things I can't remember what I put in.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mike

Old 08-01-2011, 01:10 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Welcome to the forum! Add coolant,leave cap off and run until fan comes on (this removes any trapped air) top off radiator,replace cap and top off coolant bottle.
If fan does NOT come on and still shows hot,could be a bad radiator sensor OR fan motor (check fan motor with 12volts to see if its ok) Also check for any leaks on right bottom side at bottom of water pump housing,if loosing coolant. OPT

Old 08-01-2011, 04:23 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

it wouldn't need any coolant unless it has a hole some where and it's draining out or the bike was over heated form maybe a plugged radaitor or fan not working. find out why it needed coolant added as well. it takes a minum of a 50/50 mix.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all the help.

Is there a specific type of coolant I should try? I am hoping that I have put the wrong stuff in and draining it and putting the correct stuff will clear up my issues.

Thanks

Mike

Old 08-02-2011, 11:43 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Most antifreeze available today is for aluminum radiators and usually is fine for atv use. It may say 50/50 but still ok as Polaris recommends 60/40. OPT

Old 08-22-2011, 10:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

OK all, I ran it hard this weekend and it is definitely overheating. I thought it might have been just the light, but it spit most of the coolant out of it on the way back. There was no power lacking and no sputtering it just was really hot.

Any advise?

Old 08-22-2011, 12:57 PM
Pro Rider

Did you, by process of elimination do as Old Polaris Tech instructed...it's the best place to start. As mentioned...Burb the air out of the system, make sure your fan is coming on. As Stendori mentioned...are the radiator fins plugged up with mud? Check these simple things first, do as instructed to eliminate potential causes.

Wenty

Old 08-22-2011, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Another culprit can be the radiator cap. We had an overheating problem with my son's Polaris ATP 500 (same engine as Scrambler) and it ended up being a faulty radiator cap after they checked everything else mentioned. Was nice in that it was a cheap fix too.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

I believe I did do everything on here suggested. 1 question about Old Techs post
Add coolant,leave cap off and run until fan comes on (this removes any trapped air) top off radiator,replace cap and top off coolant bottle.
Does this mean Add coolant, leave "coolant reservoir" cap off? I'm sorry I'm not 100% sure what was meant.

Thanks

Old 08-22-2011, 03:34 PM
Range Rover

Add coolant to the radiator. Leave the radiator cap off to burp the system.

Quick Reply: Polaris Overheating