Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

'02 Sportsman 500HO overheating

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 01:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '02 Sportsman 500HO overheating

I've had a random problem with it overheating (spooging out the overflow tank) since it was almost new and recently discovered the fan is only working intermittently. I checked the thermo sensor with a meter and it appears to be working.

My questions are :
1) is there anyway I can be sure it's the fan before buying a new one? Is there an Ohm value that it should be within?
2) is there a relay in that circuit that could also be Ohm'ed, if so where's it located and what would it's acceptable Ohm range be?
3) is there an actual thermostat in the '02 500? If so where's it located?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Effer

Old 08-02-2011, 01:48 PM
Pro Rider

Does it have the thermo switch on top of the rad.? If so if you coolant level gets low the fan will not work.

It has a thermostat on the left side of the head where the rad. hose attaches. These seldom give any problem.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:10 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Effer
I've had a random problem with it overheating (spooging out the overflow tank) since it was almost new and recently discovered the fan is only working intermittently. I checked the thermo sensor with a meter and it appears to be working.

My questions are :
1) is there anyway I can be sure it's the fan before buying a new one? Is there an Ohm value that it should be within?
2) is there a relay in that circuit that could also be Ohm'ed, if so where's it located and what would it's acceptable Ohm range be?
3) is there an actual thermostat in the '02 500? If so where's it located?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Effer
There is a 10 amp sealed thermal fuse under the front panel for the fan that may or may not be part of the problem,just cut the pouch and inspect the thermal fuse and connections,if connections are corroded,loose,etc, could be why fan is intermittent. Also the radiator sensor(bottom right side of radiator) can basically do the same thing if its starting to go out,supplying intermittent grounding path to complete fan circuit. Last but not least is any air pockets in the radiator itself,just leave cap off until fan cycles on which will purge any air from the system(found this happening a lot over the years) Plus hook 12 volts direct to fan motor itself,you can tell pretty quick if fan is ok or acts like its under a load and not operating fast enough. As mentioned thermostats are rarely the problem! OPT

Old 08-03-2011, 01:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

Old 08-09-2011, 03:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

After the machine heats up I'm getting 12 volts at the fan connection but the fan won't run unless I bypass the thermal switch with a jumper wire. Bad thermal switch?

Old 08-09-2011, 03:50 PM
Pro Rider

They have to get pretty hot before the switch kicks the fan on. But if it overheats before it comes on replace the switch.

Also try a new rad. cap. Don't give Polaris $35 for one. Take the old one to any auto parts store. They will sell you the correct cap for about $8.

Also as I said before. If the switch is on TOP of the rad. if it is low on coolant it will work correctly.

Old 08-09-2011, 04:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

The thermoswitch is on the bottom of the radiator so low fluid isn't the issue.
What psi rad. cap is standard on the '02 500?

Old 08-09-2011, 05:46 PM
Pro Rider

It is written on the cap

Old 08-09-2011, 05:48 PM
Pro Rider

These caps go bad all the time.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:54 PM
Pro Rider

]They have to get pretty hot before the switch kicks the fan on.

I can check on my next ride but I think my fan don't kick on till around 204 degrees and shuts off around 187 .

Quick Reply: '02 Sportsman 500HO overheating