Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2006 Sportsman 700 Carb issues and engine not running

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 11:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Sportsman 700 Carb issues and engine not running

After a few months of non-use I had issues running the engine. Last time it was run I emptied a can of carb cleaner into the intake and it ran fine afterwards.
However, I felt it was time to open and clean the carburetor. So I took it out and cleaned it. No real dirt or other noticeable residue buildup. I did need to replace the diaphragm as I got it too close to the carb cleaner and it expanded. Upon re-installing the carb I have yet to get the engine to run. I took out the carb again and rechecked/cleaned all jets. Nothing looks bad. Re-installed and again I cannot get the engine to run. I've used some starter fluid to start the engine but once the fluid is used up the engine quits no matter the choke, idle setting, or throttle position. Any suggestions would be great. I'm not keen on taking it to the shop just yet.
1) Is it necessary to connect back the breather box and breather hose? I've run it before without these connected.
2) Spark and timing should not be an issue as nothing has changed since I last ran it.
3) I added fresh fuel to the tank as it was already less than 1/4 full.
4) I assume the fuel pump is working as I removed the carb 3 times with fuel inside the bowl

Old 08-03-2011, 05:28 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Air box needs to be connected as it will run lean with out it and may not allow enough suction to pull in fuel. If it runs on carb cleaner but dies after it runs out, still sounds like a fuel delivery problem? Did you replace the needle and seat also? Carb cleaner is bad on rubber parts(if you replaced the diaphragm then you know) check vacuum line from pump and pull fuel line at carb and check that its pumping when you crank the engine over. Still could have some jet stoppage if fuel flow is ok? Plus simple things like spark plugs?? Could be needing to be replaced,partially fouling? OPT

Old 08-03-2011, 12:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

OPT, thank you for the reply. The only parts changed was the diaphragm. I carefully took out all removable jets as outlined in the service manual. Checked and cleaned them. No noticeable blockage or residue. Actually, I was surprised to see no residue in the bowl as the ATV sits for months and is a 2006. I'll check the fuel flow and spark plugs.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:54 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Just remembered,the 2006 700's were also on the expanded recall list on ecm replacement! If you haven't had it replaced,you might need to contact your local dealer! They can cause starting problems along with other problems such as not charging,overheating,etc. OPT

Old 08-03-2011, 04:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

OPT, thanks for the reminder in the recall. I removed and cleaned the plugs. Checked the fuel flow (seems OK) and still cannot run the engine. I'm going to buy new plugs, drain the fuel, and replace with fresh. On the fuel flow. How much pressure should I have coming into the carb?

Old 08-03-2011, 04:54 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

It wont be a big flow,just a small steady stream! Give the dealer your vin#,the ecm could be the main cause of your problems OR just look under the front panel,if you have a black finned module it needs to be replaced! If its silver its already been done OPT

Old 08-04-2011, 10:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

OPT,
Dealer will replace the ECM module. When picking up the new spark plugs they said this module will not affect the engine from starting. I replaced the spark plugs, drained tank, bowl, and replaced the fuel. No success on starting. Logics tell me to focus on the pump and carb. Pump will be opened and cleaned tomorrow. Any thoughts on why the carb is not pumping any fuel? If pump pressure is low I would think this could be one issue. Now the starter jet? Dealer said a clogged starter jet would be noticeable as the carb would leak (not sure about this but I'll take his work). However, won't the main jet still push fuel into the intake to run the engine but at higher RPM? last question. If the engine ran using starter fluid does the isolate the ignition system as a problem? Thanks...

Old 08-04-2011, 10:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

OPT, pilot screw! I was checking the carb diagram and I don't believe I have mine. I'll confirm in the AM as I just checked the carb and believe it's missing but need to take it out to verify. Would this cause my problem? Thanks,,,

Old 08-05-2011, 07:50 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

IF you are talking about idle adjust screw then YES it wont idle,But the dealer is wrong about the ecm NOT affecting starting!! I've had several that did when they shorted out! The main thing is that the ecm is being replaced and hopefully you've located possibly the problem!! Starting fluid just proves you have fire to the plugs and engine will run,but you have to find out WHY it wont run on its own! SOUNDS like you found it! Keep us updated! OPT

Old 08-05-2011, 08:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

OPT, in both the 2003 service manual (free download and if you know where I can find a 2006 free download I'd be grateful), and on-line parts guide for the 2006 (OEM Parts Polaris SPORTSMAN 700 (A06MH68AA) 2006 CARBURETOR, LOWER - A06MH68AA/AD/AF - Cheap Cycle Parts) it shows a pilot adjusting screw. This is different from the idle screw. I'll confirm this shortly...

Quick Reply: 2006 Sportsman 700 Carb issues and engine not running