Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Media bias: Victory 92C/Shadow 750 Spirit, Sportsman/Rubicon

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2001, 02:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Being a long suffering Polaris owner, I look forward to monthly product reviews in the various magazines on "Northstar" products.

I have been looking for an updated test of the Victory V92C cruiser which was last reviewed in 1999. The magazines skipped the 2000 models and have yet to test a 2001 Deluxe Cruiser.

Yet... for the month of March no less than 5 motorcycle magazines had reviews of the 2001 Honda Shadow 750 Spirit which is nothing more than a 10 year old bike with new styling (Harley). 5 MAGAZINES!!!! On the same model!!! Unbelievable.

Then I sit back and think, "What about those ATV shootouts?" Honda always comes in #1 HMMMMMMM???

I have to take my hat off to the Honda PR people, they know what they are doing. They are the best. They know how to twist arms and "buy" influence. Their entertainment expense must be unparalled in the industry.

Just my $.02

Old 03-14-2001, 03:35 PM
Trailblazer

Honda PR is nothing... if you want the marketing wool pulled over your eyes, buy Bose. You talk to everyday people and they think it is the best out there. They believe what they hear on tv and read in the magazines. Talk to any true audio enthusiast or audiophile and you will hear nothing but bad comments about Bose. You will also find that those that are the most adamant (whether it be a Honda - or any brand - rider or a Bose listener) about how great theirs is and how everything else is junk have no experience on anything but what they think is great.

Don't get me wrong, I think my SP500 HO is great, but I also know that the Ruby and Grizzly are pretty damn great, too. They just weren't the best... for me!

It kills me how much time and energy people waste flaming each other's ride when so many aren't fortunate enough to have any... it's like two people arguing over whether a Filet Mignon or a Strip Steak tastes better in front of a homeless person. People need to appreciate what they have, respect what other's have, and recognize how much better both are than nothing.

Sorry to get off topic... off my soapbox.

Old 03-15-2001, 12:22 AM
Pro Rider

Sorry man, but I gotta say the Victory doesn't trip my trigger. I love my H.O. but the Victory needs a LOT of work in styling to catch my eye!

Old 03-15-2001, 12:46 AM
Pro Rider

I here ya DieselPro. As a former Harley owner( fully custom 80" shovel), and soon to be again, I think Polaris really missed the styling big time. I have no idea who they are trying to market these bikes to. They look Japanese, if they could just style them more like a classic American bike( read Harley, Indian)I might give them a look.

Old 03-15-2001, 09:31 AM
Pro Rider

Oh boy, I should have known I would snag a couple of "HOGS" and a bumble bee at that. So I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. hahaha

Dieselpro you have invested quite a bit of money into engine mods on a brand new bike. Perhaps now it can keep up with a Victory hehehhe. I saw one equipped like that on the dyno at Sturgis last year. It put out 76 HP.

But anyway... getting back to the point. don't you think that it is peculiar that the Honda Shadow 750 Spirit showed up in 5+ magazines in the same month?

Old 03-15-2001, 10:28 PM
Pro Rider

Try 100+ at the rear wheel!

Couldn't deal with the Sinister blue and ice. EVERYBODY has one like that! Or black.

Mine will stand out in a crowd!