Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2001 Polaris 250 Trailblazer left handlebar and ignition switch

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 08:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Polaris 250 Trailblazer left handlebar and ignition switch

Hello Folks!!!
To beign with I got a 2001 250 TB cheap!! Needed work. So far I have rebrushed the stater motor replaced the coil and plug painted wheels, rebuilt rear brake mater cylinder and replaced all brake pads. Diagnosed and purchased a new neutral / reverse indicator switch for transmission. Replaced and replumbed carb and all vent lines. Respooled the recoil reinstalled. Removed grips for replacement. replaced engine magneto harness grommet and rerouted the wiring harness to the proper side of the engine. Replaced the clutch housing intake boot.

The wheeler started with the rope when I bought it and they had to kill it with the choke. I started diagnosing from a haynes manual and found that I can remove the black wire from the Reverse limit module and it starts and shutdowns with the kill switch on the left handlebar and with the key switch. My questions posed tonight are these:

I have a left handlebar switch that does not have a start button in it. I have searched and searched for a proper picture of the 4110248 switch to confirm it has the start button in it and cannot find it. Can anyone confirm this should or should not have the start button in it??

And in the process of diagnosing I found my ignition key switch has off/on/start positions but only has 4 wires terminals. The switch continuity checks like it should be on a 1998 or 1999 scramble 400 plus a couple others. The key switch part number that is correct for mine is 4012163. Would love to be able to find someone that has a continuity chart for that specific switch. and to know if it has two or three positions.

Oh and one last thing.. The engine spins clockwise looking at the flywheel from the right side. The starter bendix is not coming out to meet the flywheel and it is spinning clockwise too. When the starter spins the bendix is pulled back away from the flywheel even when I pulled it out and locked it against the flywheel it just pulls it off and sucks it back in... Are there right and left differences in the bendix's???

Old 08-28-2011, 09:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well after all day I have answered one of the question. The left handlebar switch should have an up position for engine start on the 1999 to 2001 250 TB. Mine does not. So have that ordered along with a new key switch. Hope it comes as the correct one...