Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2007 Hawkeye Won't Start/Battery drain?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 09:19 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Hawkeye Won't Start/Battery drain?

The wife's 2007 Hawkeye 300 won't start with the key if left overnight. Voltage at the battery was 10.5v. If I leave the Battery Tender on, the voltage goes up but it won't start on just the battery. It just makes a buzzing sound that feels like it is coming from under the tank, not the starter.

It will only start on the key if the battery is freshly charged (when disconnected from ATV) or if the charger is left connected.

It will pull start just about every time, first pull.

Any ideas?

Old 08-30-2011, 09:34 AM
Trailblazer

I would say it is time for a new battery, I had to replace the one on my 06 Hawkeye last year.

Phil

Old 08-30-2011, 09:36 AM
Weekend Warrior

Oh, forgot to include...this is still happening with a NEW battery.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:11 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Sounds like you have a short somewhere in the harness causing the battery to drain down. May be a slow process but check all connections and ground wires,possibly could have a dead short draining the battery,plus while running is the battery charging 14-14.5 volts from the regulator? OPT

Old 08-30-2011, 10:27 AM
Weekend Warrior

I'll have to check the running/charging voltage. All signs first pointed to a battery going bad. Only when the new battery (100% charge) was installed did it start off the key.

I was hoping I wouldn't be tracing a short, but it may sound that way.

Since it's an '07, do you think they worked out the ECM issue by then? I assume that's the thing under the tank that is buzzing? There is no sound or vibration felt on the starter at all.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:11 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Could be the starter solenoid?? OPT

Old 09-06-2011, 08:16 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well, after being off the charger for a couple days, it still registered @ 10.48 volts and the running/charging registered @ 14.3 volts.

I have a solenoid on order...start with the cheaper suspect parts first, then maybe look at the starter.

Old 09-06-2011, 06:15 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It sounds like there's a bad cell in the battery.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
It sounds like there's a bad cell in the battery.
The same condition was happening on a 4 y.o. battery (still tests good) and a brand new battery.

Does anybody know what the buzzing is? If this were a traditional car/starter, the noise is very similar to when the battery is low and the solenoid does not engage the starter to the flywheel. The buzz comes from under the fuel tank...why I suspect the solenoid. The starter does not move or vibrate at all....until start is attempted with the Charger still attached.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:27 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Update

We replaced the solenoid, still no difference. Finally pulled the starter and tried to start when it was connected but not installed. Same deal.

Starter would spin when connected to 12v charger... felt a little draggy turning by hand.

We replaced the starter, and now it starts no problem, actually sounded MUCH better than the last time it started by itself.

This was not the Polari$ OEM, but found one on Amazon from Discount Starter and Alternator...$81 instead of @280+

If they all do eventually fail, better to replace them at the less expensive level... 3 for 1 at those prices...

Will have to monitor if the battery drains....no shorts/wire problems found. This was likely the starter just sucking the life out of the battery each time. (ATV is usually never run for more than 10 min...)

The old battery was indeed toast.

Quick Reply: 2007 Hawkeye Won't Start/Battery drain?