Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2000 Xplorer 250 4x4 NO BRAKES!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 03:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Xplorer 250 4x4 NO BRAKES!

Just bought a 2000 polaris xplorer 250 4x4 with a snow plow for $850... but it has no brakes. They guy I bought it from said it just needed a kit to replace the seals, just bought it and installed... still no brakes! I can squeeze the lever and get fluid coming in and vacuum pressure going out(when i stick my finger over the hole). Can anyone help me? Do I need to buy a whole new lever/master cylinder or is there a way I can troubleshoot? I know NOTHING about ATV's... please help! lol

Old 08-31-2011, 04:14 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

welcome to the forums. sounds like maybe the master cylinder on the handle bar is not working correctly maybe becuase of the seals inside won't hold any presssure and just bypasses. was there fluid in the little plastic resior on the handle bar or was it dry? once they go dry they are a pain in the butt to bleed as well. does the foot brake work at all? just wondering is the calipers are all good and free?

Old 08-31-2011, 05:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks. there was fluid, it was dirty but there. I changed out the entire reservior with the master cylinder seal kit. the foot pedel doesnt work at all, and the tiny reservior is filled to the top. not sure if i need to replace the whole lever or if theres something else i can trouble shoot first before spending $100+.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:25 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Try clamping off the front brake line CAREFULLY with vice grips near the master cylinder and see if it builds up pressure. If it does then go from the front brake bleed screws and bleed,then buildup lever again.
If this doesn't work then best to get a vacuum brake bleeder OR a reverse bleeder that forces fluid and air from the calipers up to the master cylinder. OPT

Old 09-01-2011, 06:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

okay... tried to clamp the line, couldnt get it closed all the way. took off the line from the lever, was able to sqirt fluid out of the lever and get a little suction when i blocked off the hole with my finger. opened the front and rear bleeders and got alot of fluid out. i'm completely confusted! thinking it has to be the lever/master cylinder even though i see or hear no leaks. any suggestions?

Old 09-01-2011, 10:09 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

When I installed a new piston kit in master cylinders I had them off the machine and always just placed my thumb over the outlet and primed em up,let fluid squirt out,then installed the master cylinder on the bars(while blocking the hole with my thumb) and installed the brake line,pumped it up again and bled the brakes. Either your sucking air even with the new kit OR just need to get a hand vacuum brake bleeder?? OPT

Old 09-04-2011, 11:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

I think if I install a new piston kit I will solve the problem... we bleed the brakes today and there isn't much air in the lines but we noticed the brake lever drawing in fluid when you pull it and pushing out fluid when you let go... its reverse!! So I think a new piston kit will solve the problem. If not than I'm going to just take it to the dealer and let them fix it, can't think of anything else it could be.