Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

New Ranger - high idol

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 08:08 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Ranger - high idol

Hi guys, I just bought a new 500 Ranger last weekend and have been riding it a little and have noticed that sometimes it does not idol down when stopped which makes it hard to shift gears. It does not do it all the time but did it to me several times yesterday while out riding. It idols around 1800 when it does this compared to around 1100 normally. I don't have a problem shifting at 1100 but 1800 is too high and you can not get the gear shifter to move without being really rough with it.

Old 11-26-2011, 09:44 PM
Trailblazer

Just to follow up on my original post, I took my Ranger to my local dealer and had him look at it. I did not buy this Ranger from him because he is in my hometown state but I wish I had just waited till I was home again to buy from him.

The guy that I did buy it from fiddled with the idol control on the throttle body without adjusting the idol with the computer like he should have. My hometown dealer reset everything back to the factory settings and the last four days it has run perfectly!

He also mentioned that my seat had been installed upside down so I guess I will flip that around when I get back home and have some tools.

Had I known that the place that I bought from had only begun selling Polaris, I would not have bought from them.

Old 11-27-2011, 02:58 AM
Pro Rider

Fair play to your home dealer for sorting it out for you. My dealer would have told me to go .....................

How do you like it? I'm waiting for a demo 400 Ranger with the idea of buying in the spring.

JF

Old 11-27-2011, 04:37 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by galaxie428
Just to follow up on my original post, I took my Ranger to my local dealer and had him look at it. I did not buy this Ranger from him because he is in my hometown state but I wish I had just waited till I was home again to buy from him.

The guy that I did buy it from fiddled with the idol control on the throttle body without adjusting the idol with the computer like he should have. My hometown dealer reset everything back to the factory settings and the last four days it has run perfectly!

He also mentioned that my seat had been installed upside down so I guess I will flip that around when I get back home and have some tools.

Had I known that the place that I bought from had only begun selling Polaris, I would not have bought from them.
Glad you have a good dealer to correct the problem! Hopefully your post will convince some customers NOT to tamper with throttle body settings TOO!! Sorry about the incompetent dealer! I've had Rangers and atvs brought in where customers have moved the tps sensor setting,adjusted the throttle cable to where there was no slack(dangerous) and some had the D shaped idle adjuster chewed up by using a pair of needle nose pliers! I've had to remove all slack from the cable,clean up the adjusters to where I could use the correct adjuster driver and turn it out all the way until the throttle body butterfly was closed (that's why the idle adjuster is shaped like this to keep people from tampering with it!) Then hook back up to the harness kit and ohm meter,reset to correct vdc base setting,THEN turn the adjuster idle screw until it reads the correct vdc idle reading for each particular machine! Hope your post will help others not to touch em rather than hearing it just from an old retired mechanic!! If anyone is determined to do their own work, get the manual and you can order the harness kit and adjuster driver from a dealer!! I've heard of some people that have measured straight off the tps connector,but it's not accurate! OPT