Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2003 predator fuel leak at carb

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 06:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 predator fuel leak at carb

I'm not sure what I did but after cleaning the carb I now have a small amount of fuel coming out of the bottom of the fuel bowl where there’s a little drain nipple. This is a Mikuni 42mm BSR. It was fine before I took it apart. I first thought it may be the bowl gasket so I got a new one but did not solve the drip. It seems to be a small leak noticeable after I take it for a short spin. At idle it will not leak or if I rev it, it will not leak.
I looked at the float while the carb is upside down and the float was a little low to being parallel to the carb. The tab that stops the float looks to be plastic and part of the float so I did not know how I could adjust the float. Does this sound like a float issue? I made sure the float and needle was working freely. What the heck did I do?
Thanks.

Old 09-30-2011, 07:08 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Probably need to replace the needle and seat. Just because it operates up and down doesn't mean that it's not worn allowing too much fuel or seeping around the o-ring.Plus vibration while running will make it allow even more fuel in the bowl and out the overflow. If you look at the float needle sides and they are shiny,its a sure sign its wearing plus the rubber tip will wear down allowing seepage. A lot of times you can see wear marks in the valve body itself. You can shake the float to see if might be seeping gas in. The old soldered metal floats of the past were bad about this,not so with the plastic ones now days. OPT

Old 10-01-2011, 06:51 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Probably need to replace the needle and seat. Just because it operates up and down doesn't mean that it's not worn allowing too much fuel or seeping around the o-ring.Plus vibration while running will make it allow even more fuel in the bowl and out the overflow. If you look at the float needle sides and they are shiny,its a sure sign its wearing plus the rubber tip will wear down allowing seepage. A lot of times you can see wear marks in the valve body itself. You can shake the float to see if might be seeping gas in. The old soldered metal floats of the past were bad about this,not so with the plastic ones now days. OPT
I'm having trouble with the images on this exploded view.Ronnie's Mail Order for atv parts, atv tires, snowmobile, watercraft and motorcycle featuring an OEM microfiche parts finder.
Is the needle #37? It doesn't look like the needle. I also do not see a seat.

Old 10-01-2011, 08:44 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

YEP! I just doesn't show the float needle but its the right part number,it just shows the seat unlike all the other atv breakdowns which shows both PLUS the part # change usually means an improvement in most cases! #3131495 I remember this # very well as a needle valve assy, which has been updated OPT

Old 10-02-2011, 03:55 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks OPT. I ordered the needle and seat. They must be hand making these things...

Old 10-02-2011, 05:42 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

to adjust most floats, you just bend the tabs alittle to level them out.

Old 10-02-2011, 07:29 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by stendori
to adjust most floats, you just bend the tabs alittle to level them out.
It appeared the tab was part of the float which is plastic. Molded in and not bendable. Am I missing something?

Old 10-02-2011, 09:57 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Nope!

Old 10-07-2011, 07:15 PM
Pro Rider

The needle and seat came in today at the dealer. I was surprised to see the seat is press fit into the carb. What is the recommended tool and procedure to remove and replace the pressed in seat? Thanks.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:27 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Just pull the seat out with pliers,the o-ring holds it in snug . OPT

Quick Reply: 2003 predator fuel leak at carb