Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Who can rebuild front differential

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 07:50 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1eep
haha...you guys really dont know me, this is the longest i have owned a off road toy, 2nd year now...when i got this apart my brothers first question was "so which new quad does the dealer have that will fix this problem"

anyway i do plan to keep it for a bit, although it would be nice to have power steering. If i go the route of metal what then becomes the weak link to break when i start hammering on it?
Not sure if i will go full boat in and get billet, but i am considering the alum one from superatv, im also considering getting some new shafts form them and keeping the old ones as a trail spare.
I was suspicious of this, hence my initial statement but you did just upgrade the clutch and seem to be dropping some coin. Just don't try to keep up with beergut when it comes to resale

The plastic cage is the weak link, a change to billet will leave no real weak links other than the usual...axles, ball joints, and CV. Most of the mudders I know upgrade but if you're going to get rid of it in a month....

Old 04-20-2012, 07:54 AM
Pro Rider

looks like i am keeping it for a bit...i just ordered new ball joints, wheel bearings, diff bearing kit with seals, alum cage and as soon as i get a chance i will research the remaining parts via the JD # someone provided.

Honestly i am getting too old to play the swap game, been there done that and it becomes an evil loop. I plan to set this one up the way i want and keep it for a while. I have other things i would like to drop $10k on...wife wants the upstairs bath redone like some grecian spa..lol

Has anyone used the axles from superatv? They are quite a bit cheaper, have they held up well?

Old 04-20-2012, 08:00 AM
Trailblazer

The ball joint spreader will work on both CV's as well as Universal joints.

Old 04-22-2012, 12:18 AM
Range Rover

My buddy put some super atv axles in last fall in the rear of his 02 sportsman and broke one on the first ride. No big deal they warrantied it for him. He only used it for plowing all winter with the stock tires. He brought it out to my house last Sunday so I could have it loaded up. We played a little and he broke both of them, what a joke. On monday he ordered axles from the guy I got mine from in Texas and we rode all day and no problems. They are 250 an axle and I believe they have a 2 year warranty. I wouldn't recommend them to any one I know. This is only my .02.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:36 AM
Pro Rider

Are the stock axles that good?
I did take my boots off and inspect the axles, they look good and still had grease, so i just filled them with fresh grease and put the boots back on, will reuse them.

The roller basket or sprague carrier seems to be on a back order with everybody except polaris! JD came back telling me mid may before they would have them, this was online from their parts webstie direct.
I investegated getting an Alum one and never heard back form super atv, i was told i could be put on a call back list, but they have non. My other concern with alum is when that one breaks what happens with all the metal peices floating around in the housing. This must b the reason this piece is still plastic?