Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Carb Seals

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 04:37 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb Seals

I had my 05 Sportsman in the shop last week getting the starter replaced, and the pull rope fixed. They said the cleaned the carb, but I have been smell a little gas all week. I went out this morning and it was pouring gas out of the bowel drain. I took it back to the shop, and they pulled the carb, and all the seals were melted. They said they though it was from the ethanol in the gas. The ATV had set for almost a year, and they seamed to think that fresh gas, and some running just softened it up more. They are ordering me a new seal set for the carb, and should have it in by next week.

Is this common from Ethanol fuel to do this to Polaris carb?

Old 10-21-2011, 05:28 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

If they cleaned the carb,they should have replaced the needle and seat along with the bowl gasket,NOT just clean up the jets! Ethanol just attracts water and will go bad in as little as a couple of months compared to the old days when fuel would retain its octane for 6 months or more! Use marine STABIL in FRESH fuel,not just Seafoam or any other protectant, plus it protects and won't harm rubber or plastic parts!. I'm a finally convinced believer in this product more than any other preservative/cleaner for the reason it removes water and can extend the fuel octane up to 2 years! I've got it in my Honda Nighthawk,rode 20 miles yesterday on about 6-7 month old gas! (fixing to drain though for a fresh winter gas blend,then MORE STABIL! I don't like cleaning four carbs like I had to do in the past! PS YES ethanol along with the fuel degrading will really mess up any rubber if left untreated! I have a couple friends experimenting with Star Tron enzyme fuel treatment,will find out from them as time passes if its any good. OPT

Old 10-21-2011, 05:50 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the tips. I will pick some up when I am out tomorrow.