Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Trailblazer ball joints

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 01:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailblazer ball joints

I was doing some in depth cleaning on my 03 trailblazer 400 today and when I went to take the front wheels off to clean rims, brakes, etc,etc, I noticed something strange. The right side ball joint moved a little bit, until I put my hand on it then it moved A LOT. The left side has some as well but nothing like the other side. My question is are these replaceable? Or do I have to purchase new lower assemblies? I've noticed that there is no way to grease these things in the past and it's been on my mind as to how long are they supposed to last without grease on an atv... I guess it's about 8 years . So, anybody know about these? they should be the same on the 400l, 4x2 scramblers, and the 250 trailblazers(and I'm sure many others as well). I've got a ride this coming weekend (that's why I was cleaning in the first place) and I don't want to miss out, but I WON'T be going if I can't get it fixed this week.

Old 11-20-2011, 03:16 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yes they are replaceable. here is the part # 7080927Joint, Ball

Old 11-20-2011, 07:01 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks Stendori. Is this a pressed in deal or does the plate in the fiche hold it in with the couple bolts? Does the "balljoint bracket" wear out as well? should I just get everything from strut to nut? I gotta order asap to get it in time because of the Thanks Giving holiday.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:07 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Plate just secures the ball joint,but the ball joint is pressed in! Polaris has a puller,but you might check the posts on how others have pulled theirs without buying this tool. OPT

Old 11-20-2011, 07:23 PM
Pro Rider

About how much "pressed" in force does this take? I don't think I'll have much trouble getting one of them out, and I'm sure I can make up something to get the other one out. I just don't know if I can use a deep socket and a hammer to drive it back in(like a u-joint or oil seals) or if I'm going to have to workout a time and place to use a press after I get the parts.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:50 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If you can get it out,just heat the strut up a little and if you can find a deep enough socket to go over the joint you can just knock it back in. I had the puller and the installer tool and it does take a little beating to seat the ball joint. Don't baby it, just whack it to seat it flush,then replace the plate. OPT

Old 11-20-2011, 07:55 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
If you can get it out,just heat the strut up a little and if you can find a deep enough socket to go over the joint you can just knock it back in. I had the puller and the installer tool and it does take a little beating to seat the ball joint. Don't baby it, just whack it to seat it flush,then replace the plate. OPT
Thanks again OPT! That's the info I needed. I was wondering if I could use the "heat the strut and put the ball joint in the freezer" method

Old 11-20-2011, 07:58 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

YEP! That's what I did even with the correct tools. Made it seat easier!! Just don't damage the lip on the ball joint the plate goes over! OPT

Old 11-21-2011, 02:04 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

when i replaced mine recently, i had a hard time in both taking mine out(use alot of heat but becarefull not to overheat and melt it). also had the a arm hooked up and w/ heat a pry bar it finally popped off. i bought an aftermarket one (wished i stayed oem) and didn't use the freezer(again stupid or me and in a hurry)and used a deep socket and it when in hard and couldn't keep it straight. had to do a little grinding of burs i made to finnaly get it in.

Old 11-21-2011, 05:59 AM
Pro Rider

wow that doesn't sound like fun at all... Like I said, I'm pretty sure I won't have any trouble getting one of the old ones out, and the other might wait until after this weekend until I can fab something up to use as a puller. I've used the heat/freezer method on a few different things and it seems to work better than just heat most of the time. I have access to a hyd press and may go that route if I can get the parts today or tomorrow. Thanks again you guys!

Quick Reply: Trailblazer ball joints